Thyroid problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, about 6 years ago I had a partial thyroidectomy because of a non malignant tumour on my thyroid.  I had one return visit to the hospital to give me results of the biopsy but then nothing. Since then I have gradually been putting on weight ( gone from a size 12 to 16) taking a lot of vertigo attacks, been diagnosed with osteoarthritis due to my aching joints and  pernicious anaemia. I can't go near the fridges in a supermarket without almost crying in pain caused by the cold air and I seem to need an afternoon nap nearly every day. I have periods of depression and in general feel rotten. I have had my bloods checked a couple of times to see if my thyroid is functioning well enough and bloods are always ok.  Once again I have asked for them to be tested because over the past few months I seem to be getting worse, especially the feeling of being cold all the time. Going on Tuesday for the blood test but scared once again they will come back clear. Any advice please!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne,

I sympathise with you and your symptoms because it sounds similar to myself, my doctor has just prescribed veno and my blood is showing borderline, I actually told her of the effects I felt and they agreed to treat me for underactive thyroid. I have been on the medication for a weel now and the fog has lifted and woke me up. I still feel the cold badly and ache in my legs but it must be having some effect. I am confused about the whole issue of the thyroid and only just looking into it. I really do hooe you start to feel better soon and maybe keep asking your doctor to start treatment for thyroidism. you can still have the effects of this with showing normal blood....... thats what I read on here x

Let us know how it goes 

Best of luck 

Dawn 

• Posted

Hi, Anne;

do you know what tests you have had done and what the results were?

I've just had my tsh checked, which is the standard test; it came back as normal at 1.68 which is totally average but this is a test of the brain telling the thyroid to produce more hormones and not a test of what the thyroid is actually doing so you are doing the right thing to get more tests..have a good read about the kind of tests that you need on the internet as it might be useful to get check for thyroid antibodies to rule out an auto-immune thyroid disease which straight-forward tests for thyroid hormones t4 and t3 might not pick up.good luck.

• Posted

Thank you, that's interesting. One of my son's has Addisons Disease another has Crohnes Disease and I, as well as Pernicious Anaemia also have Vitilligo so we have a good history of auto-immune disease in the family.
    • Posted

Liauq thanks for your post ,I wasent aware of autoimmune thyroid ,and straight forward tests don't bring up .Im just getting mine done private ,I did make them aware I had an immune issue ,just hope they noted that down now ,will phone them in the morning from what you've mentioned .
  • Posted

Hi Anne, Post your two sets of results and tell us what dose of Levo or NDT the doctor has put you on if any. Did they change your dose after the first tests?

It is very important that you get hold of all of the test results so that you can track you own progress and compare each set of results with how you feel. You must read, read, read about this condition because many doctors and Endos don't really understand the endocrinological system.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. The first time I was tested, which was 3 years ago I was told the results for my thyroid was fine and the only concern was my levels of B12. So I was put on an injection every 3 months for that. My symptoms seem to have got worse so I am getting another set of bloods taken next week. I will ask for a copy of the results when they come through.

• Posted

Hello Anne ,Im like you don't know what my thyroids doing ,I've sufferered from high anxiety now for 8/9 yrs after an illness ,where I lost over 4 stone in weight in 4 months ,Im just having private thyroids done ,can't wait no longer for NHS ,I have autoimmune since being unwell ,through being malnourished I to in past 4 yrs developed Mdds ( balance ) ,I've also got tinnitus .I had a neck tumor Salivar gland removed 2 yrs ago ,that came up out of the blue .Hormones ? I'm at a complete loss 

I get palps and lightheaded ,only had that since all my health took a knock ,Im now on Losatan BP in past 3 yrs ,again out of the blue ,Like you said it's getting worse as time as gone by ,not better .

I've sufferered Prudental neuralgia for those yrs from that weight loss .

I do hope you get your answers ,I've learnt thyroid prevalent after the age of 50 yrs ,meno yrs ,one female cousin had thyroid cancer ,now on meds ,my eldest sister had low thyroid ,but hers got sorted ,tiredness was hers as was my cousins .Hormones got to love them hey ,joys they cause females .

Good luck 

• Posted

Hello Marlene, thanks for your reply. It's the not knowing what's causing problems that makes us imagine all sorts of things. Having seen my son mis-diagnosed with his illness until he was almost at death's door (Addision's Disease) I have learnt that information and knowledge is important. 

I hope you get the right help soon.

• Posted

Hi Anne yes it's the not knowing as to what's wrong ,you know your own body ,so you know ,what you know .Id only seen a Dr 3 times over a 7 yr period ,first thing Dr said to me was " oh I can see you've look after your health with how many visits here " Anne  still didn't get me the correct help his statement ,dreadful .,here I am still feeling unwell ,I've looked at Gluten ,Dairy .as I've allergies ,Ecezema ,to since virus .

Thyroid now testing ,go from there .Autoimmune runs in my family .

I read about your son ,scary for a mum ,I have now a book on autoimmune.Thyroid comes up .

Yes information and knowledge is a great tool 

Best wishes hope we both get our answers and back on to recovery .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.