thyroid problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed several years ago with underactive thyroid. I have been on 16 different meds/dosages trying to regulate it. Now for the past 6 months, my TSH level is too high which makes no sense at all. I am very disgusted with all of this to say the least!!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You didn't give any results or lab ranges. Could be lab error. A Reverse T3 maybe could give part of the reason. Do not take B vitamins 24 hrs before blood draw.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that, Mary. To be of any help we need to know a bit more. What symptoms do you have? Was your TSH ever in the normal range with any of the meds? What is it now?
  • Posted

Hi Mary, high TSH indicates liw thyroid. TSH is an evening indirect indicator and should be used along with T3 and T4 levels to dose.

A major problem with dosing is delay. While T3 and T4 are less delayrd thqn TSH, all lag as the body cannot shift immediately. Add the time it takes to get lab results qnd doc follow up, order new pres ription, anlther three weeks for your body to adjust... you’re basically treating some number that’s long gone.

In addition, the meds suppress the pituitary function, which affects the whole hormonal system.  That just adds about a million variables in the mix, as your body tries to maintain homeostasis.

The synthetic meds in particular tend to trigger the immune system, which results in inflammation in the lymph glands around the thyroid- pretty much the last thing a thyroid patient needs.

The NDT meds are much better than the synthetic levo, though both are not good at high doses. Someone who needs low doses can often get relief by dietary and supplement changes. So in the end, not a great solution.

The closest you'll get to your own thyroxin is Thyrogold. But you need to know how to dose youself or find a doc willing to work with you.

After five years messing around with the thyroid meds roller coaster, I started amino acid therapy. It isn’t perfect, but better than the meds by far. I was on the NDTs for a year, the dtnthetic levo for a cupple more, back to the NDTs, then to bovine glandular OTC. I came to the conclusion that the meds don't work at any dose. 

The frequent manufacturing changes, changes in inactive ingredients, allowable +/- 10% from label dosing are all varianjes that make it impossible to use theee meds.

I have advanced thyroid disease. I don’t  feel my system is particulatly delicate or that my experience is unusual.

The problem of dosing is widespread. I have only met kne doctor who was proficient with the dosing. Clearly, the standard proticol for using this medication is suboptimal at best.

There are a few  people whove posted here that the meds work for them, but the majority experience what you’re dealing with.

I feet the system for  treating thyroid diseaese is ineffective and harmful. So i looked for another solution.

• Posted

Mary, lots of people do well on synthetic meds, but we don’t hear from them as they are off living their lives, as mother poster pointed out a few days ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.