Thyroid problems and Lyme disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dealing with hypothyroidism since early 1980's. After going gluten free, thyroid has not been normal in a year. Need a doctor recommendation in Charlotte, NC. area if possible. 

Nurse left on my voicemail :  " Your CT scan is normal and your thyroid results look good. Your T3 is high and your T4 is low but if you are feeling better... that is what counts."  

T3                            87-178     ng/dL                 202       (HIGH)

T3 FREE                  2.5-3.9     pg/mL                 3.9

T4 TOTAL                4.5-12.5   ug/dL                  3.3        (LOW)

T4 FREE                  0.61-1.70 ng/dL                 0.43       (LOW)

TSH                         0.35-5.00 ulU/mL               2.23 

Many doctors do not want Lyme patients period because we are a COMPLEX bunch.  I don't think I am getting the best advice. NEVER at any time has my thyroid problems affected my hair, eyelashes, eyebrows, skin, etc.  Although Lyme disease can cause depression.....I think my thyroid is causing a lot of mental issues as well.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes.. as for your thyroid causing a lot of your mental issues.. I would agree.  I have hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's and I have suffered severe depression and social anxiety most of my life.  It started before my thyroid showed up hypo in blood work, but I had the antibodies.  As, James mentioned, maybe you should have your doctor check for the 2 thyroid antibodies in your blood.  They are TPO antibodies and TGab.  You can be positive for these and experience symptoms, even if your TSH is showing up in the normal range.  Now that I am on Levo for the past 5 years, My depression and anxiety have become better.  Not completely gone, but just more tolerable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.