Thyroid problems in a teen? Help please!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I am Charlotte and I am 14. For a while I have noticed my body is not right. I just could not put my finger on what the problem was though! I’m young so obviously I should really have any physical problems especially seeing as I have been healthy all my life. However my sister and lots of my family have auto immune disorders so I thought maybe I could too? Here are my symptoms.

- fatigue no matter how much sleep I have

- losing weight no matter how much food I eat

- shaking all over

-muscle tremmors and twitches

-eye pressure and visual disturbances 

-anxious ALL THE TIME

-depressed

-irritable 

-mood swings

-restlessness 

-insomnia 

-tachycardia 

- muscle weakness

-excessive sweating

- Brittle nails!

- and I just feel weird and different.

- feeling like my legs are going to give way when I’m walking and going upstairs 

So there are a lot of unexplainable symptoms that are debilitating. My thyroid is swollen which is what lead me to hyperthyroidism? Graves’ disease? As I said my family have a history of auto immune conditions so I suspect it could be that? Mum keeps dismissing everything I’m saying though sad as I’m typing this my thumb is trembling as if I have low blood sugar when I don’t! Argh please help. Should I go to the doctors? I know it’s not conmen in teens and children so that’s why I’m hesitant. But I don’t want to leave it as I know it can be dangerous if you don’t get it treated. Thank you - Charlotte smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

shouldn’t have any physical problems ***
    • Posted

Yes. I have heard that heredity can play a big roll. See a doctor. Have blood work done! Hugs.
  • Posted

Charlotte

Go to see your doctor and take your Mother with you .. as you will be treated more seriously

have bloods taken for possible Thyroid disease .. including antibody testing  for Graves  Disease

I have Graves’ disease  but now Euthyroid or normal 

And I had your symptoms and more besides ..

Ask your doctor to test for vutamins  and minerals too 

B12

D3

Iron 

Magnesium 

Selenium 

Etc etc ..

Your results will show a clear picture of what’s wrong

Ask for a printed copy of results they are obliged to give them to you ... they’re yours !

Print them out on here in full including those numbers in brackets  those are your  lab ranges ... 

then we can advise further 

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Charlotte it sounds very much like you have a thyroid disease but you won't know which one unless you have a full investigation by your doctor.  You may only have a goiter or if you have an autoimmune thyroid disease, you need testing to determine which one.  Please do not delay.   Hyperthyroidism, whatever its cause, can lead to a thyroid storm which you don't want to happen.  Also please keep us posted here on this Board.  Tell your mother you absolutely HAVE TO see a doctor.

• Posted

Thank you so much, I have a doctors appointment for two weeks time. Is this soon enough? Xxx
    • Posted

I agree with Madge, Charlotte.  Tell them you can't wait two weeks as the symptoms are worsening.  I don't know where you live but your symptoms are bad enough that you could go to an Emergency Ward of a local hospital to be seen right away.  I live in Canada and that is what I would have done here. 

• Posted

To my mind it is too long to

wait !!

I would  tell them at the surgery you feel that it could be an emergency appt you need because your symptoms are very bad and you need bloods taken ..

I am not trying to frighten you .. but some conditions it’s ok to wait for an appt .. Thyroid disease can quicken and worsen quite rapidly ..  and you would Be Wise to insist .. I would certainly take your mother as the doctor somehow,  becomes more accountable with a loving  witness present !

And is not likely to poopoo your 

Requests for bloods etc ..

Good luck changing that appt 

Mx🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.