Thyroid question

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, 

I'm a 28 year old male. Recently got bloods done because of many health concerns. The only thing that came back abnormal was my thyroid. I'm getting retested before anything is made of it but does anyone here have any experience of this. Why it happens, if these numbers are of a concern and how treatable is it?

Serum T4: 33.9 pmol/L (12 - 22)

Serum TSH: 0.01 mIU/L (0.27 - 4.2)

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thyroid disease is most of the times very treatable. I can’t speak to the numbers but I personally started having issues with thyroid hormones based on stress in my life. I was told by doctors that It could also be the part of the world you were born - I was born in Bulgaria and Bulgaria was affected by Chernobyl’s radiation. Almost every Bulgarian woman has issues with the thyroid hormones. Don’t overthink it, it will be fine smile take care!
  • Posted

My Endo did really thorough testing when I presented with abnormal values like yours.  She immediately put me on Propranolol to reduce my heart rate but I only took it if my heart rate was high which it wasn't always.  Then she did thorough testing to find the cause of my hyperthyroidism, i.e. thyroid antibodies such as anti-TPO, TBII, she did a nuclear uptake scan which confirmed I had Graves disease.  It is important to know the cause of your hyperthyroidism.  Some people have nodules which cause it, others have autoimmune diseases such as Graves or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, some have both Graves and Hashi's.  Once my diagnosis of Graves was confirmed she put me on a thyroid hormone blocking drug called Tapazole (methimazole is the generic name).  I think you should find out from your doctor what he or she thinks the cause of your disease is.

• Posted

In answer to your question, I think it is very treatable.  But you need to become proactive.  I did my research and have a very good working relationship with my doctor.  My research gave me more information about supplements which would help my condition which doctors do not know about.  I believe my disease was caused by workplace stress.  I am now off medication and all my values have normalized but I also am aware that stress can further trigger it.  That's okay.  I know how to manage it if it does.  I am currently off all medications for thyroid and my values are all normal.

• Posted

What websites did you use for your research and finding out what other things you can take to help your condition? I would really like to check for myself. I am on tapazole as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.