Thyroid removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

a year now of hyperthyroid/ GRAVES disease and i have made my decision on getting my thyroid removed two months from now. im confident with the SURGEON but still feel questioning things in my mind. I DONT want to live with the graves disease my whole life attacking the thyroid . although im told that the graves never goes away what are the chances it moves on to my eyes after it has no thyroid to attack ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I almost had mine out too! I stayed in uncontrolled graves disease for 6 years. no medications except lopressor. I have lupus so I could not take the two anti thyroid pills! but last year while I was searching for a surgeon that could do a very high risk patient as I am, my thyroid all of a sudden flipped to hashimoto's.. I have both graves and Hashi's. For me, I'm so thankful I just road it out and didn't remove it. I've been on this rollercoaster for 55 years so far.

It was a tough 6 years but it's tough now also. a life long problem that will never go away regardless of removing it or not. it's still autoimmune disease. Good luck!!

• Posted

Jack

I have Graves and TED with double vision. I had my thyroid removed last May because I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism over two years previously although I had obviously had symptoms for many years before this. I was told prior to surgery that I was not a candidate for radioactive iodine because my eyesight would become worse after this treatment so for me this wasn't an option. I am just wondering why surgery has been suggested in your case if you do not have TED as I was under the impression that radioactive iodine was the more usual route taken. Of course I am no expert here and could easily be wrong.

Anyway I know I will always have Graves, will have to take levothyroxine for the rest of my life and am now hypo.

I suggest if you need information regarding the possibility of TED after surgery you should talk to your surgeon, your eye consultant or your endocrinologist who will give you the best advice on this.

With best wishes

Rosemary

• Posted

Im not sure about your eyes but i would be clear on how much of the thyroid they take out. I say this as 12 years ago i had what i thought was a near total thyroidectomy however i now discover the reason why my thyroid problems are back and the reason is that they only took out a lobe at the time ! I think that if your thyroid is removed you will have less antibodies and therefore less of a chance that your eyes will be affected. The BTF were very good at answering my questions years ago why dont you try them? Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.