Thyroid removed and I feel so slaggish, unmotivated, lazy, tired and negative.

Posted , 4 users are following.

All of my thyroid has been totally surgically removed 6 months ago.

Yesterday I took the lab results 

TSH: 3,6

Free T3 : 2.6 pg/ml

Free T4:  15.3 pg/ml

Male, 36 yo

We are still adjusting the dosage of Levothyroxine to achieve somewhere between 1,0 and 1,5 at TSH.

I feel fatigued all the time. Lazy, have no motivation, and especially after weight training and some cardio (50 minutes both) I feel so slaggish the next morning.

I lose constantly weight. I did a complete blood check-up (which costed a bit) and everything else seems fine.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Oh, it has been removed due to graves (hyperthyroid) without nodes or anything else on it. The methimazole just didn't work after 1 year.

• Posted

Canader, there's a mix of symptoms I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on. But if you're losing weight, why not stop the cardio and simply focus on moderate strength training? I suspect raising your heart rate is not advisable at this point...

• Posted

To be honest I just burn 160 calories on cardio and it's 14 minutes. it's really next to nothing. As for heart rate I noticed that I have bradycardia after having my thyroid removed. When I was hyper my heart would be 90-120 bpm all the time.

Now (hypo) 43bps at night and maybe 60bps during the day. Cardio raises it a bit hopefully it won't stop or anything.

• Posted

Canader, the paradox to me is you saying you're hypo and losing weight. Plus, your Tsh is high, but so is your FT4... I hope someone can shed some light on this topic.

• Posted

The TSH is high and it does not want to be converted into T3 with a passion. 

I wonder how long it takes for someone's levels to be stabilised after thyroid removal.

• Posted

It's definitely possible to be hypo and have weight loss at the same time.  Not sure why, but I definitely have weight loss issues.  I just keep losing weight.  I eat all day and even started protein drinks daily and ensure drinks everyday.  It seems like the more food I eat, the more weight I lose.  I guess it's not unheard of to suffer from weight loss and be hypo at the same time, because I have actually come across 2 other people with hypothyroidism that are stuggling to gain weight too.   I am pretty tall at 5'7 and I look like a skeleton at the 118 I am at.  I am scared to excersise because I can't afford to lose any more weight.  My thyroid doctor is concerned also, and ran a very large amount of test, and everything came back normal, so it must be my thyroid.  I'm very confused about all this.  My thyroid TSH test for my last blood work came up as 1.67, which is actually a little high for me, because my endo likes to keep me at around 1.00.  So, I would rule out me being on too much levo.  Not sure about all this.. very confusing.

• Posted

Exactly, the more I eat the more I lose. I tried to eat around 3,200 calories per day which is much and I the end of the week I was 0.5 kg less. Then I adjusted my diet to 2,300 calories and I am losing weight faster. The thing is that I spend effort and time at the gym to maintain my muscle mass but my body keeps eating itself.

I wish I was TSH 1.67 but I guess this will take me another 6 months time.

I take 175mcg and I am heading to 200mcg. 

• Posted

Yes!  That is what it is like for me, when you said that your body is eating itself.  That's how I feel.  But, I am losing all my muscle mass along with the weight loss.  I think MtViewCatherine has done an amazing job at explaining what may be going on.  I have a better understanding now.  It's just an awful way to live, to see yourself withering away right before your eyes and you feel like there's nothing you can do about it.  I'm hoping all my protein drinks and ensure drinks will help.  If not.. I have no idea where to go from there.  Best wishes to you....

• Posted

Hi Canader, you're right that your TSH is too high. You'll have to try your best to b patient while you see if the meds sport things out. The good news is that you're exercising and concerned enough to reach out for help while your system is strong. Stick to your normal exercise routine as much as possible! As it will keep your body strong, help the immune system, sleep and other hypothyroid symptoms. Many people with thyroid disease live in a downward spiral and never recover.

Meanwhile, your thyroid is part of the endocrine system. The thyroid works together with the adrenals, pancrease, pituitary and sex organs to regulate metabolism and other functions. The fact that you're dropping weight could indicate your other endocrine functions are responding to the low thyroxin levels by shutting down. Unfortunately, this is how our bodies preserve energy. With the low TSH, your body can't metabolize and thinks it's starving. So you could be experiencing temporary low testosterone, adrenaline Orr other hormones, that could be contributing to your feelings of malaise. If your sex drive is lower than usual, that's a pretty good indication of low testosterone.

You might try some supplements while you're waiting for the meds to adjust, since getting them right is a slow process. Essential amino acids, and even protein powder will help your body. Also a thyroid support supplement and good quality multivitamin and mineral should help some.

The other thing you might consider is that thyroid disease is autoimmune disease, which cannot be confined to one area of the body. There are many dietary changes you can make to heal your immune system. 

Just an aside, if you're a young person who likes to experiment with recreational drugs, you'll want to stay away from them. Also limit alcohol, refined sugar consumption. If you're interested in diet, try a strict Paleo diet.

• Posted

Yep, very low mood that comes with a low sex drive. I don't drink alcohol and don't smoke anyway and I don't drink sodas and no refined sugar.

But I do eat pasta, rice and potatoes together with sources of protein. 

I feel so demotivated and lazy, that's so unbelievable.

• Posted

Ok. Canader, you're doing great! Cut out the grains except for rice, and stick with root veggies like potatoes for starches. Gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye and barley, triggers the autoimmune response involved in thyroid disease. Other grains often show cross reactivity, so they can also trigger the gluten autoimmune response. Better to just avoid grains. Rice tends to be the most tolerable. So if you must have grains, stick with rice.

Stick with high protein, organic meats (you don't need the agricultural hormones and antibiotics messing with your system), but you do need the protein! Add essential amino acid formula, and you should start to feel better. If that doesn't work, you could try some adrenal support herbs. As a last resort, you could try some DHEA, dose by pulsing a few days on, a few days off, to try and reboot your hormone system. I caution against the use of DHEA because it's a precurser to steroid hormones, normally manufactured by adrenal glands. Overuse can cause your own body to shut down more.

• Posted

Today I went to the gym and despite the fact that I drank 1 Liter of water I was like 1,5 kg less than in the morning of the same day and I had breakfast !

After the gym I am super fatigued ! Could that be that in the gym I steal much needed energy from my system to keep working with the low energy that I have ?

And then it shuts me down completely ? 

Eventhough I lost this weight I have absolutely no appetite to eat anything. Just plain tired and fatigued.

• Posted

Canada's, sounds like you need some additional support. I've found acupuncture to be extremely helpful while navigating the ups and downs of thyroid disease. Give it a try and see if it helps alleviate your symptoms. Getting the meds right can take months or even years. Best to get yourself some sort of support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.