Thyroid results

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have felt really unwell for about 8 weeks now and have had various tests for 

palpatations....all Ok.

Extreme fatigue, dizziness,hair loss on eyebrows etc. felt convinced that it could be due to thyroid.

Results show TSH level. =1.45 and T4 =12. GP says all normal.

is my T4 level a bit low? Help please and suggestions

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What are your T3 levels? Did your doctor test for this? Do you have any other autoimmunity issues? Sometimes the thyroid gets the blame for other clinical issues that have nothing to do with your thyroid.
  • Posted

Are you sure T4=12 or 1.2? 12 does not seem right, what is the standard range shown on your test results, and where do you fall in that range?
    • Posted

The results I have been given are

TSH. 1.45 ( normal range 0.35-3.5)

T4.     12. (Normal range 10-25)

• Posted

You are on the low end of normal for t4, subclinical perhaps, but not out of range. I would ask your doctor if you could try a very low dose of Synthroid ( 25mg)  and see how you feel 6 to 8 weeks later. Ask if anything else could be the cause of symptoms other than thyroid. Also have him check t3 levels, some docs don't think this is necssary, as the body does convert what it needs from t4, chancs are t3 levels are on the low end of normal too, but still worth checking. Some do better on a combo of t4-t3 hormone replacement therapy. It may take time and testing to find out what the issues are thyroid issues can be complex, but don't let them give up on you until you are satisfied.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

Its unlikely you will be tested for T3 - its not the doctors its the labs. They decide on your TSH. Its useful to know that a properly funcioning thyroid depends on other levels. You need to be in the upper range for B12, D, ferritin and folate. Ask for these to be checked and prepare to supplement if low

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.