Thyroid scan

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi has any one had a ultra sound on there thyroid I’m currently being tested for it my blood tests came back borderline so there sending me for a scan and I’m so anxious about it all 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shariece.Please don't worry about having an ultra sound of your thyroid.It is exactly the same as the ones you see when they are checking the baby on a pregnant lady.A small amount of gel is put on your neck and they run a small instrument which picks up sound waves over the area.This will show if there are any areas on the thyroid which might be causing your test results.Hope this helps.Best wishes Nonita

• Posted

Thankyou so much for the reply yes I have had scans when I was pregnant I was getting so anxious I have bad anxiety aswell so that doesn’t help but now feel relieved you have told me this 
  • Posted

Hi Shariece.Your anxiety problems may have something to do with your thyroid.It is a known symptom.Please don't worry though.Ihave been hyperthyroid for four years and take medication every day to help with all these various symptoms.There are loads of very kind and knowledgeable people who read these posts who will be more than happy to answer any future questions you may have.Best wishes Nonita

• Posted

Thankyou nonita it’s just scary at first I have my appointment Friday so will update you x
    • Posted

Do you mind me asking which medications you are taking daily Nonita?

I have just been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and have had an ultrasound which showed two nodules.

I have read various methods to deal with this disease.  It’s all so confusing.

• Posted

It's actually a good sign that your doctor is doing an ultrasound Shariece. I think most, if not all, hyperthyroid patients have had one at diagnosis.  I did.  The fact that your doc is doing it when your labs are borderline means that he/she will catch the problem early.  A lot of hyperthyroid patients have walked around with symptoms and their labs were well out of range at the time of diagnosis which makes it much harder for them to normalize.their values.  So not to worry.  It's a good thing.  This will help to detect any abnormalities if you have any, and sooner treatment means a lower dose of medication if required.  

• Posted

Thankyou Linda my doctor is really good witch is rare these days I went to the doctors for b12 deficiency and she asked about my thyroid as I also have anxiety and she felt my neck and said I want to send you for a ultra sound so now I have appointment for Friday x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.