Thyroid surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

so it’s been a year now. A year of Hyper thyroid and Graves’ disease. Or hyper thyroid and Graves’ disease. Or year of bloodwork and doctors. Are year of losing 12 pounds than gaining it all back. A YEAR ON methamazole And now I am down on a maintenance dose of 2.5 mg ev and now I am down on a maintenance dose of 2.5 mg every day. Everything almost stabilized but still dealing with the Graves’ disease ery day. Everything on most stabilized but still dealing with the GRAVES disease that will always have to be kept in check with this drug . I could use a little direction from the group, as I just met a Doctor Who did my thyroid biopsy. Two needles in the neck not very fun. This I could use a little direction from the group, as I just met a Doctor Who did my thyroid biopsy. Two needles in the neck not very fun. I really love this doctor and her staff, she was very professional and explain things to me like no doctor has before. We discussed for the first time the removal of the thyroid

due to the three nodules the Graves’ disease and the hyperthyroid she and I both think it is the best bet for surgery . she was pretty optimistic that this would keep the Graves’ disease at bay . I have not gotten the results of biopsy to see if it is cancerous, but either way to me it sounds like the surgery is the way I’m leaning toward. I know my body and I have not been the same since the Graves’ disease. I know I will have to take a medication called Synthroid afterwards . I am 56 years old not afraid of surgery if it’s the right way to go… Thoughts?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm 51, My year has been a bit like yours. My biopsy revealed carcinoma so my thyroid comes out in 3 weeks which will be followed by radiation. I managed to get in with an ophthalmologist who understands graves eye disease yesterday and he is talking about putting a "port" in my chest and having me do weekly steroids by IV for 3 months with a bit of radiation to the eyes too. I was on Synthroid before my condition reversed (I was hypothyroid before I developed Graves and became hyper) and if I have to be honest, if you took the eye misery away, I found it harder being hypo than hyper. I had no energy when I was taking Synthroid and I would come home from work and crash immediately every day without energy for anything else. I hope they get a handle quickly on a good dose for me once my thyroid is out.

Are your eyes affected at all? For me that is the hardest part of all of this. I think a big factor in the decision for your path might come down to your biopsy results. I was on the fence over surgery until I got mine, then I was told I don't have an option. Thanks for the post.

• Posted

thanks , this is helpful

what are specifics of your eye problems ??? i only have slight decreased eyesight when reading and slightly high pressure ( gloucoma ) optbemologist is watching ..... any specific test i should get for eyes? hope you get well soon

• Posted

not sure what the eye symptoms are . yes it will be a harder decision for the surgery for me if test comes mack benign in 2 weeks

• Posted

Hi Jack and Kim,

Do either of you have double vision with your Graves disease? I have developed double vision over the last two years and it is driving me crazy. My eyes have become so sensitive to light that I have to wear dark glasses most of the time as well as a hat with a brim.

I had a thyroidectomy in May because the radio iodine treatment wasn't an option with the double vision and although this went well I don't feel any further forward with all the muscle and joint pains aches plus now the lack of energy.

I can't decide which is worse, suffering from hyperthyroidism or effectively being hypo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.