thyroid swelling

Posted , 9 users are following.

i found a swelling in my right side of my neck panicking i went straight to the doctors who said it was my thyroid. I was given a blood test and sent home after worrying for 5 days i got my results telling me tsh levels high. panicking again i booked in to see a consultant privately who told me i have an autoimmune thyroid disease, was told to stop worrying and go home and revisit in12 months time. this doesnt help me worrying with the symptoms i am having, the feeling of something constantly stuck in my throat, pressure in my neck, indigestion neck tenderness,any one else having these problems please reply[[/quote]

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi joan

i have not suffered myself but my daughter is a sufferer like your self, we all paniced when at age 15 she found a lump on her throat(how we hadnt noticed it before is a mystery it was huge) anyway made an urgent app with the gp , he made an urgent app with the hospital where 2 wks later she was given a scan on her throat, with those results and her blood test they were able to diagnos thyroid disease. she was put on carbimazole 8 times a day cos her levels were so high, she to was told to come back 3 mths later and more blood tests, where they could moniter her levels, she has had her goitre for 10 yrs until a few months ago her consultant referde her to have radioiodine treatment to kill the thyroid but it hasnt worked so she must go back in jan for more. she says it does feel like you are choking with it as the swelling goes around the throat, but i think at this stage the docs have to give medication to lower your levels before deciding if there is any further treatment they can do as it is supposed to be dangerous to do surgery/ other treatment while your thyroid levels are to high. i hope this is of some use to you . your gp should be able to give you more info as do sites involved with thyroid conditions. gail

• Posted

gail, thanks for replying ,how ever has your daughter put up with the awful feeling of choking for 10 years, i have only suffered for 2 months and cannot bear it any longer have made a gp appointment for end of month as want something done now and not later. Hope your daughter is soon cured from this awful disease! please keep me upto date about her progress if possible.
  • Posted

hi joan

shes been very distressed on many a time but unfortunatly with thyroid treatment it does take a long time to work, cos shes had this radioiodine now she cant have any medication until jan , but at the moment her goitre has gone down, but we have noticed that its coming back so hopfully she,ll have her second treatment in jan, its an awful thing to live with but i suppose you get used to it,hope the gp can sort something for you , i should have been a little more pushy with lisas treatment but i didnt realize then, we put our trust in doctors dont we. i have learnt since to push a little to get the treatment and not let it ride to long. gail

• Posted

just thought i would update you with my latest visit to the doctors. I went to ask if the symptons i am getting with my enlarged thyroid gland, the feeling of choking and food stuck in my throat, was normal to be told that these symptons should not be conneceted to my thyroid, now she wants me to have a camera put down my throat to check it is not anything else lurking about. I thought my symptons were quite common with enlarged thyroid and was very shocked and worried to be told they are not, anyone else have symptons like mine and have a thyroid problem? The thyroid also seems to play me up a week before my time of month.
  • Posted

I have just returned from the doctor today having a lump in my throat checked out. Doctor is convinced it's thyroid, but thinks my blood tests will come back normal as I don't appear to have any other symptoms. I noticed the lump the day before my period started (yet to discover if this will be a theme in months to come) and am feeling some discomfort, as though someone is pressing on my neck constantly.

What I would say is that I'm unsure if this feeling is psychosomatic because I've been thinking about it/touching the lump for a week now since I discovered it, but I find it amazing that you should be told this isn't a normal feeling with enlarged thyroid. After all, it is right next to your windpipe.

My mother has underactive thyroid, and she has difficulty in controlling her panic levels. I understand how frustrated you are, perhaps some of your feelings are escalating due to the enlarged thyroid? Do you think you would benefit from attending yoga classes or similar to help you cope with your symptoms until the doctors can begin effective treatment?

My mother was diagnosed around 8 years ago and is unfortunatley still having trouble finding the right medication level for her. Thyroid problems are not easy to \"fix\" quickly, so I'm a firm believer in alternative therapies such as yoga, to help the brain relax. Let me know what you think of this, and I hope you find a solution that works for you.

• Posted

hi and thanks for your advice just thought i would update you have had the camera up my nose and down back of throat nothing was found and now have been booked in for a barium swallow! very worried about this in case the find something else there my nerves are now in pieces appointment is for next tues and results two weeks after that. will update you when had results.
  • Posted

Hi there you have no idea how relieved i was to read your posts!

I was diagnosed with under-active thyroid about 4half yrs ago, i was prescribed throxine everything went well tho i did noticed a slight breathlessness when i moved my head to the left but due to major nervous system problems i kept forgetting to mention it when i saw my GP.

I recently had to blow into a tube to test for asthma after being rushed into hospital with asthma mimicking breathing problems, this test made my thyroid swell up like a golf ball. After an ultrasound scan and 3 biopsies i was diagnosed with a goitre which i now (after reading your posts) feel is what is really interfering with my breathing (not asthma) to the extent where i am changing from a happy, take each day as it comes kind of girl to a quiet, bad tempered person living in fear of not being able to breathe properly and mentally fighting mini panic attack after mini panic attack (something i have never suffered with before)!

I know it's a tad selfish of me to say this but i'm so relieve to see that i'm not the only one! :yuk:

• Posted

hi, i am so glad reading the posts and my experienc has helped you, i am a worry mutton and panic over the slightest thing i still have panic attacks but manage to control them i feel much better on thyroxine and will carry on taking the meds, i still have some trouble breathing but not sure if that is all in the mind!

keep in touch and anything else you want to ask please do.

• Posted

Hello there and thanks for responing.

Hows things with you? Really glad to see the Thyroxine is working for you.

My practice nurse advised me to keep a couple of paper bags around the house to blow into if i felt i couldn't breathe (if it inflates when i blow into it and deflates then i inhale then i was breathing) she also said i should say the alphabet out loud backwards which would also prove i was breathing. It did help but not enough to shift that horrible feeling of doom in the pit of my stomach so i ended up seeking accupunture for the panic attacks and now i feel much calmer and more able to divert my thoughts to happier things. I already use accupunture for my nervous system and thankfully i respond very well to it.

I know exactly what you mean about being a worry mutton haha i'm the same, if it's not my family's health then it's my own! I don't think this weather helps tho, it's one virus after another in my house which my throat seems to love keeping hold of! Roll on Summer.

Keep in touch and take care

Mell

• Posted

I have been experiencing a feeling like something is stuck in my throat.. Hard sometimes to make enough saliva to swallow. Dry throat and sore neck. Its causing me anxiety attacks which I take ativan and it seems to help but not cure my problem.. Its nice to read other inputs on this. I go to gastro doc today and ent doc on wed. Hoping for answers. 
  • Posted

Hi Joan i came across this thread and was curious to find out if you were able to figure If the greater problem was exacerbated closer to the time of your.Period? I've had one for a few years now and had and FNA and it came back negative but the goiter tends to swell sometimes moreover other times cause and lots of panic attacks. However my thyroid function testing comes back normal showing that the thyroid is still functioning it's crazy. But i feel like the swelling gets worse close to my period

• Posted

Hi Tammie... I swear I have seen my thyroid gland swell and deflate by turns.. I got a scan done and the doctor ordered an FNAC but I chickened out. But I think I will get it done... Thanks for your post.
  • Posted

I absolutely notice increased swelling, throat clearing, and a chocking sensation more towards my cycle or change of seasons. I thought it was just me. I'm hypothyroid. I've been suffering with symptoms for 9 years. I take natural dedicated thyroid hormone, but it only helps somewhat with my energy. Still overweight, anxiety, dry hair and skin, and my throat issues. I have two small cysts on my thyroid that the dr checks annually through ultrasound. No changes so far. I was curious about an update from the original post.

• Posted

I have all of those symptoms and don't know if I should start checking with a endocrine Dr first or what...?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.