Thyroid symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all I'm just looking for some advice and would appreciate your input. 

I am 19 and haven't felt my self for a very long time now, I am exhausted all the time and have very little energy, despite sleeping for 11 hours at night and sleeping for 2 hours in the afternoon. My hair is falling out and has become very thin, my nails are breaking, I am always cold especially my hands and feet, my eyebrows have thinned towards the edges, I ache all over, and I gain weight really easily and struggle to lose it despite exercising. My blood tests have come back as boarder-line under active  and my GP keeps telling me that all of my symptoms are just because of my anxiety and that I shouldn't worry. But I can't help but feel it's not all down to anxiety as I just feel rubbish all of the time. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for anything that I could do to just feel a bit better or gain some more energy? 

Thank you all 

Emily. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily 

do you know what your blood test results were for your TSH ?

• Posted

Hi Matt, no unfortunately I do not I am going back to see my GP next week as it's 6 months since my last test so my Gp said I could be tested again after 6 months so I plan on asking to see what it was.

• Posted

You may be able to call the GP and ask them over the phone what the results were, I forgot to ask initially but were happy to let me know over the phone. I've heard so many people say their gps say it's borderline when in reality it's perhaps not , you certainly show symptoms that could be that of hypothyroidism. I think guidelines for "normal" TSH level is 0.4 - 4 but most people I speak with feel best at around 1 - 2. Give them a bell and let me know how you get on 

• Posted

Oh really I didn't realise you could do that! Thank you very much for your help I definitely will! 

• Posted

Has your GP done an antibody test? In the UK if you show positive for the antibodies that's usually taken as enough to treat you for hypothyroidism. Your symptoms sound pretty textbook to me and don't forget anxiety and depression can be symptoms of hypothyroidism anyway.

• Posted

Hi, I am not 100% sure I don't think I have, I think I have just a basic thyroid test, does the GP test for antibodies on the NHS or would I have to do that privately?  That's interesting I didn't know that anxiety was a symptom I knew that depression was thank you. 

• Posted

Definitely a GP job they should do it as standard if it looks like you have a thyroid problem. My GP wasn't too worried about my TSH level, she just waited for the antibody test to come back and treated me with leveothyroxine once it was confirmed.

• Posted

Thanks very much I'll ask about this when I go next week! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.