Thyroid troubles

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism . Blood results were TsH 0.01. Free T4 level 25.2 Free T3 level 15.1 Doctor has referred me to endocrinology but appointment isn't until October 29 NHS for you.

I'm feeling so crap imwent back to docs who precsribed me 15 my of carbimazole. I know it's not but I'm losing litres in sweat even sat in front of a fan. I'm thirsty all the time. My eyes are itchy and sore.

Are these results severe? Anyone else had trouble with waiting times in NHS. Any thoughts of how to improve my symtoms

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi kevin58257, assuming that the measuring units are pmol/L your FT4 level is slightly high (upper reference limit 20pmol/L) and your FT3 is high (upper limit 6.5pmol/L). 

For your sore eyes, I would recommend bathing them in a sterile saline solution. (See the attached photo. The plastic container came with a different brand, I can't remember which). 

My eyes are often sore in the morning. I fill the small plastic container to the brim and then place one of my eyes in the saline and blink for about 10 sec. Then I discard the solution, refill the container and bathe the other eye. 

• Posted

Hi Kevin58257,

I had this issue: I was give an endocrinology appointment which was 3-4 months away. I went back to the doctors to ask whether they could make it any sooner (apparently it is the doctors who can do this, rather than the hospital).

This was because I was worried about the amount of weight I was losing. I had lost a lot of weight in the few months I had been having symptoms of the condition, and I was concerned that if I had to wait 3-4 more months I would lose too much weight.

The doctor was able to call me later in the week to say that they had been able to move my appointment to a few weeks later. So I recommend that you talk to your doctor about your concerns over the appointment waiting time. You know your body and your symptoms!

pomelo

• Posted

Kevin!  , I was in the same place as you two weeks ago… Fax your blood results over to 100 endocrinologist if possible… I was lucky to send mine over to the one my son sees and they got me in the next day and on meds the same day… You need to get on to medication ASAP… Like yesterday… Keep calling doctors and explaining yourself to get in or go to the ER Nearest emergency room to get treatment you need to get on medication…
  • Posted

I was only able to get into  s endocrinologist  The next dayBy faxing my blood work over right away... He immediately prescribed 30 mg of Methimazole ( Anti-thyroid med) along with 50 mg of Atenolol For six weeks… So far I’m seeing some improvement but I would definitely knock on doors to get into  endocrinologist
    • Posted

I will try that bit the NHS is in such a mess. I need to see someone. How had were your blood resukts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.