Thyroid Ultrascan

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

First time poster. I am a 38 yr old male and I've just been told by my doctor that I have high thyroid peroxidase and he has booked me in for an ultrasound.  I was wondering if anyone has had this done before and what I should expect.  The levels were at 469 but I can't seem to find a base or normal level online to compare. 

I would also like to hear from people about their symptoms.  I've been feeling very anxious, verging on depression at times.  I have difficulty getting over to sleep and at times feel very breathless. The most pronounced symptom seems to be a feeling of swelling or lump in my throat that varies with regard to how large or intrusive it feels on a daily basis. 

Are these symptoms that anyone recognises?

I feel very worried at the moment as I have never really felt unwell like this before. 

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I understand it is hard not to worry but it is good that you are now getting treated.  I am no medical expert but experienced the exact same symptoms and was diagnosed with Graves Disease.  Basically your autoimmune system is attacking the thyroid and sending it hyper.  The thyroid peroxidase levels indicate that there are antibodies present.  The symptoms are horrible but once you receive treatment they will subside.  The usual treatment is carbimazole which is an antithyroid med which controls these symptoms.  Get your diagnosis first and then research.  I joined a great group on facebook.  Feel free to private message me if you are worried xx
    • Posted

Hey,

Thanks so much for the reply. 

Hopefully I'll get my ultrasound early next week and then an appointment with an endocrinologist soon afterwards (fingers crossed).

I really appreciate the iformation and support.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi 

your very lucky your gp does those sorts of tests, I have been backwards and forwards with hyper hypo symptoms for a few years now, they keep putting it down to depression and stress, I have nothing on this planet to be depressed and stressed about, apart from not knowing what the matter is with me.

the only test I have had are tsh (thyroid stimulating hormone) and free t4, I keep asking for other test as I think I have either hashimotos or Graves' disease.

my symptoms are tremors, constantly shaking and panicky, hot and very sweaty, palpatations, anxious, depression severe, so on anti depressants, massive weight loss, muscle wasting away, gritty eyes, tiredness, insomnia, and a lump feeling in my throat. Severe hair loss, stomach problems, can't sit in the sun as it hurts. 

i have now written to my doctor to ask for some more test, and to be referred to an endocrinologist, hopefully I will get my life back on track and start to feel normal.

try not to worry to much as you have been referred and hopefully things will start to get better for you. 

Keep us posted. 

• Posted

Hi Scampi,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm sorry to hear your having problems getting the help you should from your GP. Sounds like you've had a pretty torrid time of it.  I hope you get proper tests and treatment soon.

• Posted

You sound a lot like me. I have palpitations and major hair loss, Im hyperthyroidism ! I would say you are too with the nervousness also! I'm on PTU but still have all those symptoms I've listed ! It's a very aggregating disease to have! My hair loss is my main concern at the moment, been losing lots since Jan, going to come a time I have non left and I'm a woman 50 years old, very fit and eat right! It's really scary for me, depressed all the time over it! Go to the Dr and see what he says, he will more than likely put you on some meds and hopefully they will make you feel better!

I can't find a great endo so I'm going to the mayo clinic on Tuesday! Maybe I will have some answers for some of you!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, I pretty much have all your symptoms and have had and still have most of the symptoms that Scampi has, I know how you both feel. I also have a swollen neck mine isn't so much as a lump but both sides of my thyroid is swollen and looking side on you can really notice it, thankfully I have long hair to kind of cover it. i am due to get an ultrasound scan done soon. Worried is an understatement for me but I think we just need to get on with it as it's not something that heals quickly.

I have been on Carbonimazole for about 5-6 weeks now and feel much better and propranolol has helped with the tremors palpitations etc....

i wish you all the best with your ultrasound, will let me know how you get on and what to expect? Thank you 

• Posted

Hi, I have hyperthyroidism but my autoimmune is normal. Mine is from a multi-nodular goiter and thyroiditis. I get ultrasound scans done every 3 months to check the nodule sizes and growth. I have also had 2 uptake scans and 1 FNA done. The ultrasound procedure will show the size of the thyroid and if there any nodules. It's completely painless. They may ask for an uptake at a later date which they would inject you with a small amount of radio iodine and 20 mins later you would be scanned by a gamma scanner. Again completely painless. If they find a nodule you may have an FNA biopsy at a later date. That one is uncomfortable I had one done which the results were inconclusive but I wouldn't let then do it again.

My anxiety levels are through the roof and I'm allergic to everything from perfumes, pesticides and different medications. I have been on PTU for 4 years and still feel the symptoms but the PTU helps and so does Propranolol. Can't work or drive because of this and going out is a task as the allergies to everything mean I have to wear a mask as perfume even in the slightest amount causes extreme pain, dizziness, breathlessness, blurred vision, high BP and hypothermia.

Don't know how much of this is related to the thyroid disease but i have lyme disease too.

Keep the group informed on the scan results etc. There is good advice here as we are all in the same boat here.

Jeanette

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.