Thyroid ultrasound results

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

2 years ago I had my right part of thyroid removed because of nodule (came out that it wasn't cancerous). I was then diagnosed with underactive thyroid and Hashimoto's disease. I take levothyroxine 75.

About 3 months ago I found a swelling on my neck (on the side of removed part). I was referred to ultrasound scan which took place last Tuesday. Next day I got a call from my gp to book an appointment for today and here is result: 'well-defined 3.72x3.27 cm heterogeneous nodule in the suprasternal region with moderate internal vasularity highly suggestive of thyroid nodule. This probably represents of ectopic thyroid lesion.'

Can anyone translate it to english? wink

Thank you!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well I will have a go!

You have a nodule in that dip in the middle of your neck: : "the large, visible dip inbetween the neck and the collarbone".You probably look at it everyday when you look in the mirror, it's right there, that hollow in the center of your neck. That is the suprastenal region (literally,  above your sternum). The nodule appears to have "originated outside the organism." i,e, it's not supposed to be there. If something has "vasularity" it means that there are little tube like structures (veins) in it. We as humans have a blood vascular system, but fish have a water vascular system - so, your nodule has grown some small "veins". Ectopic again, means it is something that is not supposed to be there (remember ectopic pregnancy? an embryo growing in the fallopian tubes instead of the womb).

Sounds like you have a cancerous nodule on your thyroid. They will probably do a Fine Needle Analysys (FNA) next to verify this "suspicion". It could also come out as benign meaning it may not be pleasent to think about  - but it's not going to hurt you, I have a friend with a large benign nodule in her neck, she has had it for 40 years.

• Posted

Dear Sammathn:

Hello my name is Shelly,  I am a nurse RN) and I live in the USA.  What they are saying is this: the nodule is 3.72 by 3.27 cm (metric  measurements) that is over an inch since 2.54 cm equals an inch. 

Hetergenous means it is uniform in nature which is good since cancer makes bad edges and cell structure.

Supra means "above" and sternal pertains to midline above your Sternum.

Ectopic thyroid lesion, means on top of or outside of the thyroid and lesion is a medical word for sore, tumor, wound, nodule, etc....

Vascularity, means a blood supply.  We all have nodules with a blood supply. If not the tissue would die.

Many people get tumors or nodules on the thyroid or outside of the thyroid.  Most are NOT CANCEROUS.  Some are even scar tissue that forms after surgery. You should have a biopsy done which will test it.  They can test it from a small sample of tissue done with a needle to the thyroid area.

So in english...You have a large nodule above your sternal area that has uniform structure and a good blood supply. 

Relax, many are not cancerous and can even be scar  tissue or cyst like.

Any questions just ask. You can ask the doctor to give you the results with plain language interpertation.

I hope this helps, Shelly

• Posted

Thank you guys smile I wil let you know what they found!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.