Thyroid weight gain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 47 year old woman, I have been on a diet for most of my life..2 years ago I had a gastric band fitted and lost 6 stone..I need to lose another 5 and I'm stuck..I am eating around 1200 calories a day and I swim 3 x per week and I've lost nothing in 4 months!! I don't know what else I can do. I currently take 200mcg per day of levothyroxine and I feel it's my hypothyroidism that is causing me to  be unable to lose weight! I have been told that a combination of t3 and t4 meds may help? Can anyone give me any help or advice..I'm desperate, thank you 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I found a forum several days ago where I read an exceptionally long string of complaints. It involved hypothyroidism and people's hopeless attempts at losing weight while on Levithyroxine. It is said that the only reason a person might gain weight while on Levo is because their dosage isn't correct. Well, I can't count how many posts I read where people claimed massive weight gain even after their correct dosage had been found! This was despite the fact that they were eating very little and getting lots of exercise. It was more than apparent to me (and most everyone else) that Levo was the culprit! It's either the Levo itself, or perhaps it's the hypothyroidism causing the weight gain, regardless of being on meds- After all, Levo IS a synthetic fix.

I wish you the very best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.