Thyroidectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

surgery 4 days ago, all went well. Problem finding the right mgs. of Levothyroxine. Prescribed 100 mgs. way to strong. Then prescribed 75mgs. was still feeling jittery and anxious so i cut the 100mgs. in half and took 50mgs. No better. i go for hours like this with small headaches. Then i come down and want to sleep and am almost lethargic. I'd rather have post surgery pain then go through this roller coaster of highs/lows to find the correct mgs.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I suggest that you don't decide your doses , it's too dangerous, let the doctor decide , don't forget that after surgery your body and health will feel unstable , it needs time to recover and readjust to a new hormone (pill) , this is the time that you should be taking high doses of calcium and other minerals until the parathyroids will restart functioning , at least this was my experience.

After my surgery the only problem I had was catching up with the calcium intake/absorption and I had my hands tingling every time I was running low.

Sleepy and lethargic is a symptom of too little hormone.

My Synthroid dose was 150 mgs and my weight 150lbs and I never had any issues with my thyroid hormones before and after.

So please listen to your doctor and have patience.

Get well soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.