Thyroidectomy and dry skin, tiredness

Posted , 4 users are following.

It has been one year since my thyroidectomy ( due to hyperthyroidism, no cancer) and I noticed my skin is getting dry as time goes by. I get tired very easily as well.

So after 1 year my

TSH is 2,10 

FT3 is 5,40

FT4 is 15,90

My Doctor told me that my TSH is a high higher and it should be around 1 or 1,5 maximum.

I told him that my T3 is almost borderline high ( a proof that my body converts Levothyroxine just fine) and that if we increase the Thyroid hormone ( I take 150mcg now) indieed the TSH will go lower but the T3 go even higher and I don't want that.

Then he told me to wait. The thing is that I have this result for the last 6 months now. So I don't know what to wait exactly. I stayed at the 150mcg but how can I lower the TSH without touching the T3 ?

I had ACTH test for my adrenals and it came perfect. 

But they noticed very low B12 and very low Vitamin D. Both were close to 0 actually. It was kind of scary.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I know Vitamin D deficiency can have the same symptoms as hypothyroidism.  So.. that may be your problem.  Also, you are correct in saying that your TSH should be around 1.00, as my endo told me the same thing, for those on T4 replacement.  I'm not sure how to raise lower you TSH without making your T3 change.  Sorry, I couldn't be of more help..

• Posted

Hi after left side thyroid removed and now I am loss body muscle mass and both my arm and leg skin starting to look like lizard skin and very wrinkle and vey dry ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.