Thyroidectomy, with normal function but unknown growth

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have to growth on my thyroid, 1 on the right which is 2cm and 1 on the left which is 5mm.

When they did a biopsy on the right one, it came back with parathyroid cells, but not 100% conclusive. After all the blood work came back normal my doctor and surgeon still can't explain what it is, since it's so big and in the front.

The surgeon wants to remove the right side and said I should think about if I want the whole thyroid removed since the left side has a growth on it as well and if it gets bigger I might have to have surgery again in a few years and it could be more difficult because of the scare tissue.

I'm so lost and don't know what I should do????

only remove the right side or the whole thyroid?????

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I would just remove the half. small growths are very common on the thyroid, and usually benign. remove both sides and you'll need meds for life remove half and chances are good you'll be fine. I have half a thyroid and I don't need meds . I had a 4cm thyroid mass in the end. which was choking me and causing hyperthyroidism. i also had a tiny 2mm mass on the other side which i left. the only time I would say remove both is if its cancer. otherwise it may never grow big at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.