Thyroiditis treatment and symptoms advice

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I have been living with hypothyroidism for about 4 years now and been taking levothyroxine daily. I have experienced issues since being diagnosed particularly weight gain, fatigue and dry skin.

I previously went to my Doctor last year as I had been struggling to lose weight and made significant changes to my diet and lifestyle but unable to shift the weight. I wanted to make sure that I had tried everything that I could before I went to a Doctor. I had my TSH and glucose checked which came back normal and was told there was nothing that could be done about the weight issue (and basically told to accept that). I felt incredibly hopeless and low especially as I have issues with body image & confidence etc. and my efforts are not paying off!

I feel like I have been struggling with the hypothyroidism and the symptoms as I have not received sufficient support or education on the condition; all that I have been told is just to take the medication and have TSH checked annually.

Last month, I presented to my Doctor again with a tight sensation/lump in the throat feeling where my thyroid is. I was referred for an ultrasound scan which showed thyroiditis and waiting to hear back from my Doctor after reviewing the scan results.

Can anyone advise on what the treatments/investigations are for thyroiditis? And is there any hope on the attributes associated with hypothyroidism being resolved? I have never used these sort of forums before and feel like I am completely alone in this.

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This forum is good but health unblocked the guys are first class with thyroid 💕

• Posted

Hi Gibee

people who know a lot more about this will reply to you and give you the answers you need I have had my thyroid removed and am still trying to get answers as you get one problem sorted, another pops up but know that you are not alone and a lot of people can help and with their advice in time you will feel betterlol

• Posted

My daughter has thyroid cancer and had her thyroid removed She is also struggling for answers with meds Why no weight loss She feels worse since they upped her Lev. But the original doe was to low She felt like shes the only one I will tell her others are struggling as well after thyroid removal
  • Posted

I am by no means an expert on this and since I have not thyroid my symptoms won't be the same. here are a couple of suggestions.

1. make sure that the doctor tested for T3..  We've determined that my body doesn't convert T4 (levothyroxin) to T3, which the body needs for energy, etc.  Most doctors do not test for T3 and you have to insist.

2. for the weight try going completely gluten free. I did that and lost 30 lbs in 6 months without being "on a diet" other than no gluten.  If you want a recipe for the world's best gluten free zucchini bread let me know.

• Posted

First off, get your test results and post them here. Go online and learn what they mean. If you are unhappy with your doc’s approach ask to get referred to an endocrinologist. What dose of Levothyroxine are you on?
  • Posted

Hi Gibee, there are tons of people dealing with the issues you speak of.- no education or preventative measures... 

I actually was able to get my thyroid disease into remission for a period of 10 years.  I feel the factors that helped were lots of exercise, low fat/ low calorie diet with sufficient animal protein, cleansing, living in a warm climate. 

It depends on what sort of cyst you have, but boron therapy is what I did to get rid of the hard cyst. Acupuncture reduced the inflammation and the soft cyst.

Since thyroid disease is autoimmune, caused by toxicity or other exposure, healing the immune system is important, hence, most thyroid patients redpond very well to a gluten free paleo diet in order to reduce the load on the immune system. 

Since most thyroid patients have gut and digestive problems, dealing with these goes a long way towards helping the immune system, as well as nutrition. For this reason, some people find digestive enzymes or HCL supplements to be helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.