Thyroxine induced osteoporosis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I have Hashimotos Thyroidism, diagnosed decades ago and have been going along on Thyroxine quite happily.  Suddenly my GP suggest I may be a little overmedicated and sends me for a DEXA (bone density scan.  Results show I have osteoporosis!  My  GP believes thyroxine is the reason for the bone loss.   I am due to see a endocrinologist in about 6 wks.

I am in my late 50's, female,  and until last week considered myself fit, strong and healthy.  I power walk at least 10 km daily, do weight training 3 times a week, abdominals and stretching daily.   Vit D ( i take a supplement) and Calcium levels tested as normal. 

My blood test results are at the lower end of normal for T4 and T3 but my TSH is suppressed.  I need to try to reduce my dose of thyroxine, get the TSH into the normal range, without going hypo! 

Anyone else out there like me, with thyroid disease and osteoporosis, already exercising heaps anyway?  I am already doing all the right things for bone health.

Thanks so much for any help, this diagnosis of osteoporosis really rocked my world, and not in a good way!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The osteoporosis diagnosis is somewhat theoretical. I had it but no problems. You are probably fine. Keep  doing what you’re doing!  Maybe take calcium but not right after the thyroid meds.
  • Posted

Hi, please put this post up on the healthunlocked Thyroid UK forum....loads of sound advice x
  • Posted

Is your TSH really suppressed? Do you skip multivitamins and any Bcomplex day before testing? Biotin or B7 will give false results can suppress TSH and elevate T4 T3 etc and lot more tests besides thyroid tests. I have family members and friends with osteoporosis BUT none of them with any thyroid disease. You are probably not the only one in your family w osteoporosis...maybe they haven't been tested. Do you take vit K2 with vit D3? That helps prevent calcium going to places where you don't want it. Read up on it.

• Posted

My TSH is currently 0.01, normal range is 0.5 to 5.0.  It has been at this level for ages, although T4 an T3 are fine.   I am not showing any symptoms of being hyper.  The only supplement I take is Vit D, but I have just started Vit K2 today, calcium has tested normal.   No family history of thyroid disease or osteoporosis.  My parents died at 92 and 96, both pretty healthy until close to the end, but I don't think either was ever tested for osteoporosis.   I will update once I have seen the endocrinologist.  I am hoping he may have some ideas for me.  Thanks for your feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.