Thyroxine side effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi!

I got a telephone call in December last year from my doctor who told me to reduce my thyroxine from 75mcg to 62.5mcg because I was borderline hyper. I was ok for the first month and then I started getting my hypo symptoms coming - headache, numb/tingling arms/hands, cold, constipated etc. I thought I was having insufficient thyroxine but have read on the internet that this can happen when thyroxine is reduced or increased and should level out eventually. Has anyone had experience of this? Many thanks....

Jen confused

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello - I'm brand new to this forum, and am reading it for the first time.  I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Disease with numerous nodes in my thyroid.  about 6 months ago Endo changed my prescript to Euthyrox 75mcg x5 days and 50mcg on two days, since then I have I feel reacted badly to the medication with huge palpitations - nearly always at night, with are terrifying. I have been back to him and he still wants me to take same dosage -  am utterly confused - and frightened by this, and really quite desperate for an answer - am beginning to feel thathe thinks I'm a 'difficult patient', so havent been back again, though due for a check up in July.  I dont feel I have levelled out at all   Thanks for any help.   Dee.
    • Posted

Hello Dorothy! Sorry to hear your not feeling too good. Do you have your latest test results?  If so it would be helpful if you could send them, along with your lab ranges. Hashimotos is not as easy to manage as primary hypothyroidism alone. When you are suffering with hypo only it is easier to work out a dosage that works well for you.  With hashi, which is a autoimmune disease, you tend to go through episodes of hypo then hyper, so it is difficult to feel "levelled out". Perhaps with your lab results plus ranges we can see where your at. Best wishes........

Jen

• Posted

Hi Jen thanks for this - am to go tomorrow morning to have tests for TPO -Thyroid Peroxidase and TAA - Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody, and in the afternoon am going for an ultrasound re nodes, s will fill you in tomorrow, if I may.  It is a bit of a relief to see you say that one has episodes of going from hypo to hyper - I have really felt as if I'm am going a little mad with it all -  best Dee
    • Posted

Well done Dee! These tests will determine what is going on and what measures need to be taken. The worse thing is not knowing what is wrong. Please do let me know the outcome when you get the results. I am here for you. Having been through it, hopefully I can be of help. Bless you..

Jen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.