TIA - Amaurosis fugax?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello. I know you're not medical professionals, I'm just looking for a little reassurance if anyone can oblige? I have spent the last few days rigid with fear and I'm too scared to be left alone through fear of having a stroke and I'm scared of eating the wrong thing..I was diagnosed 5 days ago by both GP and neuro consultant, as having a tia and have been prescribed 75 mg aspirin and 20 mg statins and told not to drive for a month as I'm at risk of a stroke.

My day started as usual.. I was sat on my kitchen worktop talking to my hubby, I jumped down off the worktop to follow hubby outside, as I put my head up I was aware that something was wrong with my vision in my left eye, I followed my hubby outside and told him I couldn't see properly, looking straight ahead everything below my sightline was black yet I could see clearly above sightline, my eyesight was literally split in two, but just the left eye. I stood still for a minute and hubby then guided me to sit down, where my sight just went back to normal within 10 seconds. I had no other symptoms and no pain anywhere. The whole episode from start to finish lasted 2/3 minutes.

So, I suppose I'm looking for reasons.. I'm 47 years, Im a casual smoker and I know this can be a cause, but would this show up in an MRI? I have not touched one since and never likely to again! I'm 8 stone so no weight problem. I've had some tests at my local stroke assessment unit which all appear fairly normal? BP 123/82. Pulse 62. ECG normal. Angiogram/MRI normal. Bloods showed cholesterol at 5.6, but GP doesn't find that overly worrying? (I don't know anything about cholesterol). All other bloods normal, not diabetic either. 

I do suffer from anxiety and at mo it really is off the scale so please don't put anymore fear in me 😩 At the time neuro tried to reassure me that my age, weight, not diabetic, BP good etc, puts me at even less risk, but for me all I'm hearing is that I'm at enough risk to warrant meds and driving ban for a month like any other person who has experienced a tia. Honestly my head is really spinning, am I being stupid, overly anxious?

thanks in advance 😊

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Justjo.I want to encourage you to take deep breaths, calm down( because of stress) and thank God that you received a chance to do what you could. You still have your function and your independence. I wish someone had scared me enough to do whatever I could have done to prevent it. One of my doctors told me to go to nutrition.org and download a book, I don't recall the exact name, but if you go to the site you will see it. The name was something like how to avoid the 10 main killers of Americans. Its only a couple of dollars. It tells a lot about eating whole foods and non-processed foods. I had 2 Tia's, and then a bad stroke. I would give most of anything to go back to when I could have avoided it. I have drastically changed my diet, lost a lot of weight. But the numbness and nerve pain keep me at about a level 8 most days. And I have lost a lot of independence. I haven't lost hope or faith for complete healing. My doctor checked all my labs recently and they were all pretty good. Still working on sodium. They were not good before the stroke. Do all you can, and instead of being afraid, develop an attitude of gratitude. God Bless,

Lori

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.