TIA...but no Meds?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello...

Numbness across left side of face...left part of upper lip felt like it was trying to move down & across to the other side...dizzyness & shakyness...then heart palpitations & shortness of breath. Hospital said it was a TIA, but by the time they performed a CT Scan of my head the conditions were largely gone. My scan results showed that my brain was fine, but they wanted to hold me over the weekend & do an MRI on Monday (at which point I checked myself out, promising to have one done on the outside).

But...they never gave me a prescription for a blood thinner; & I read online that most TIA's are caused by clots; & that most people who experience them should be placed on blood thinners right away. Is this true?

Also...I still have a very slight numbness on the left side of my face, with a slight pain that occurs every now & then above my right ear. Going to my primary today, to get a referral to neurologist...but am concerned that this could happen again; & am wondering why the hospital didn't put me on blood thinners. In the past 2 years I have lost 50 lbs. & have been eating right & getting as much exercise as possible...so I'm wondering why this happened to me in the first place.

thanx,

mark4man

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark,sorry to hear about the problems you are having. I suffered a stroke 5 years ago and like you I had numbness on one side of my face and also weakness down one side of my body. The CT scan did not show anything and the same when I had an MRI. Doctors do need to be careful as to what meds they give you as a stroke/Tia can be caused by a clot or a bleed, therefore if they gave you blood thinners and you had a small bled on the brain it could be fatal. Like you I had no reason for having a Stroke, my blood pressure is spot on my cholesterol is great it is just one of those things. If you are still concerned I would see your own doctor and ask if you could have a referral to see a Stroke consultant. Good luck hope you get good news.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear about your TIA. Im in the UK and had a possible TIA or occular migraine in July. I had a CT scan, 7day heart monitor, doplar scan of my neck and a number of blood tests and blood pressure reading.All were fine, nothing found. I was told this is common in TIA as if it was caused by a clot, the clot disperses so no evidence is left behind. I am fit and healthy, not overweight, I have exercised since I was a child but my mother had a possible TIA and my father had a fatal heart attack, both hereditary factors for me. I was prescribed a blood thinner clopidogrel and a statin as a life long preventative by the consultant from the stroke team. I was told this is standard practice here in the UK by the consultant. I have researched this and so far see this gives about a 25% less chance of another TIA or stroke, so lifestyle is still important in reducing future liklehood of another episode. Hope this is helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.