TIA / Mini Stroke experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone smile I am a 22 year old female and believe I may have has a TIA (Mini stroke) 

On wednesday evening I got home and looked in the mirror the take my makeup off and noticed my vision was slightly strange in my right eye as I couldnt see part of the right hand side of my face, I then looked down at my phone and again I couldn't see the buttons on the right side or my right hand. I was alone and had a bit of a panic attack as my vision is normally perfect /no glasses no contacts or anything. 

I called the NHS helpline and the lady on the phone was lovely and told me to get to a hospital within the next hour, she rang through to them so they were expecting me. Whilst on the phone my boyfriend arrived home so we got straight in the car and drove to the hospital. i tried putting the hospital postcode in the sat nav but kept getting the number mixed up no matter how many times i had memorised them, In the car i then felt extremely spaced out and had a strange sensation in my head, pain like a headache but different, I then lost feeling in my right hand and it went all pins and needles and numb. I then had a couple blood tests once at the hospital and whilst waiting my boyfriend was talking to me about my day / favourite tv shows etc and I couldn't answer any of his easy questions, it was like I knew the answers but the more I tried to find them in my mind the more blank it went and then i'd get upset. 

The hospital kept me in and after exams i was finally in the hospital bed at 4:30am , The doctor woke me up at 6:30 to run through the plan of action with me, my CT scan had come up normal, however he is treating me for a stroke, and gave me aspirin to thin my blood. He then said he is arranging a couple of eye exams due to the vision loss and also he wants to get an MRI booked in asap. 

They didn't let me go home the next night either. My blood pressure was very low almost every check. I had lots of eye exams and then kept asking if i could go home, the doctor said I should stay in as the tests will all get done quicker however if i really don't want to stay I can go home and have everything done as an out patient but if i feel strange still I need to come back asap. 

So I am now home after three days in hospital. I have to see my GP on monday and am currectly awaiting an OCT eye test, an FFA eye test (friday) and an MRI, I feel generally pretty weak and spaced out and a bit worried about the thought that it is very likely to have been a TIA. 

Any thoughts?

x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lovely did you have a headache? I suffered an occipital stroke 3 years ago this January where it was right side lobe which affected my vision all off to the left it must have been really scary for you but fingers crossed they will get you sorted so it won't develop into anything major not saying that a TIA isn't major but hopefully everything should return to normal for you. It is frightening and I can totally understand your worries but they will get you sorted once you have had  your scans try not to worry too much (easier said than done!!) wish you all the best for a mega speedy recovery xxxx

• Posted

Hi fraggles thank you so much for your nice message. Yeah i have a headche. I’m home now but really struggling with remembering little easy things and feel quite spaced out, did you feel like that? 

How quickly did you recover? And did yours show up on a CT scan? Xx

• Posted

Mine was a full stroke my lovely yes showed up on a CT scan although I had the stroke on the sat morning about 5am and it took till Thursday to be diagnosed as they was putting it down to migraine !!!!!! don't even get me started lol my vision still isn't 100% it affected my peripheral vision I drive ok all be it a smart car round small lanes as I struggle to judge width but all people are different my sweet I can understand why you want to try and find out what is happening to you I was exactly the same and I was 49 when mine happened I went onto facebook forums for stroke etc., I would wait till your scan results and take it from there but don't get fobbed off as you know your own body and you know when something isn't right let us know how you get on xxxx

• Posted

Hi alex,

I think it is likely a mild stroke. I felt the same when i had it last january. It wl be confirmed by the result of your ct scan and mri. But I hope it is not because you are still too young. Getting a stroke at a young age is rare especially at your age. Although it can happen at any age. Follow your doctor's prescription and instruction. Diet and exercise can help a lot to prevent recurrence. Dont get too worried and be thankful that it did not get worse. Be careful though of what you eat (less fat and less cholesterol foods are better for a healthy lifestyle). Be more active and avoid stress if you can. Good luck and best wishes! God bless!

• Posted

Hi there ,

My name is Amanda And I am 29 i had similar things happen to me 8 months ago I did all testing imaginable and all was good came out as a migraine from to much caffine sometimes this can be your body warning you to slow down and take it easy 😊for sure do all the testing even though it's rare for your age you could be the one in one hundred ..i hope all is ok 😁

• Posted

I'm really sorry that you had such a scare. I've had a stroke, a TIA and an ocular migraine and it was very scary for me. I think your doctor is wise in treating it as a TIA. Taking one aspirin every day is really no big deal and can actually save your life. Make sure they check your cholesterol because that's one cause of a stroke. And of course I'm sure they told you that if you smoke you need to stop smoking. And as a ex-smoker I know how hard it is to quit.

Now I really hesitate to tell you this and maybe you already know but I want you to know something about the MRI that you're going to have. Being claustrophobic and being in an MRI is rough and I can give you some hints that work for me on how to get through it. But I want to warn you that when they do the MRI they will put your head in a box. That way you can not move your head at all. It really freaked me out when that happened but I was able to get through it. In fact I'm pretty proud of myself. LOL

Take care of yourself so you don't have any more occurrences. But that also means knowing that since you had a TIA your risk of having a stroke in the next 3 years is quite high.

• Posted

I recently  had something similar  and stayed in my bed for 4 days not feeling well On the 5 th day i got up and checked  or tried to check my emails  and i couldnt log in because i kept getting my password wrongThat is when i realized something was up  and made a few phone calls I ended up in A and E   and then was moved to the acute  stroke ward  for 5 days Same tingling feeling in left hand fingertips and  balance loss Vision was all blurred  except for central visionTold the nurses who checked my eyes  and said i was missing some visionAfter a month at home with a physiotherapist got my balance back  4 months down the line  still got a tingling in left  hand fingertipsClarity of vision has improved although the scotoma is still thereIt took about 2 months for  my brain to notice the vision loss area Did they mention to you  about getting a home visit from a stroke nurse They are there to help  you  and will arrange  for any help you might need.I am now going to the eye clinic  where they can do a test on you to find out if you have vision lossIn thw meantime  you can go  to an opticiuan and make an appointment for a field vision test free on the NHS  This helped me Wish you luck with your recovery
    • Posted

Isn't it weird how we realize we've had a stroke? With my last TIA I woke up in the morning went to use the restroom and discovered my right arm did not work at all. All this didn't alarm me too much because I had had a steroid injection in my elbow two days before and my first thought was that that was it. So I tried to call the doctor who did the injection and as I'm trying to leave a message I realize the words are not coming out right. At that point I said into the phone I think I'm having a stroke and I hung up. Well of course my doctor's office got that message and was frantically trying to get ahold of me. But I was headed to the emergency room and not answering my phone. We did finally get in contact with that doctor and assured them that everything was good and that I was in the emergency room. Fortunately it turned out just to be a TIA and I regained the use of my right arm and my voice changed back to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.