TIA time bomb!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. Exactly 4 weeks ago I had a TIA and went through the whole A&E experience and then the Stroke Unit for 48 hours. I came home with a bag of medication.......................... Clopidogrel, Amlodipine, Paroxetine, Aspirin & Atorvastatin. I have tried really hard to reduce my risk of another Tia or full blown stroke by not having any salt or saturated fats, having a much healthier diet, no alcohol, gently exercise and my blood pressure is now down to 120ish over 70ish! I know I should be pleased and able to get on with my life but I feel like a time bomb waiting to go off! I am extremely "bodily aware" and notice every twinge, ache and pain. It is making me nervous and scared that it will happen again. I'm probably being really stupid winding myself up like this. Am I normal to feel like this and how can I stop it? Advice/support would be appreciated please! Cheers.

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You are not alone

I had one in November and still have blurred vision in right eye. I am so paranoid re: the symptoms to look out for.It does make us sound like a time bomb.

• Posted

I too had mine in November, I find it gets a little better every day, I'm not thinking of it 24/7, although still every twinge I think it is it

No fun at allΒ 

• Posted

Hope all is well with you. It really is unnerving to have this illness. Keep me updated on your recovery. Julie
    • Posted

Will do, I have yet to be told why I had one, I haven't had any follow up appointments yet, I am still waiting for echocardiogram appointment, So I'm none the wiser, They didn't tell me any thing, I read it all up for myself.

xx

• Posted

Karen, I found some great informative books at kindle for very low prices to download. Search for TIA symptoms ang recovery. They have some great ones to answer oh so many questions. I will look on my account later and give you thr authors.and titles. Hope this helps. Best of health to you. Julie
    • Posted

Hi Guys........................... please have me in your thoughts tomorrow when I see the Consultant for my 6 week follow up and results of the heart monitor. I need as many "good vibes" as I can get. Thanks a million.
    • Posted

Hey Aneta, Will definitely be thinking of you... I'm sure it's all good news, You have been doing every thing they advised, Make sure you let us know, and all the luck in the world xxx
    • Posted

Hi Aneta, How did you get on xxx
    • Posted

Thank you Karen for your concern. It was ok except that when the nurse took my BP it set the machine flashing 202/102! I did say that I have White Coat Syndrome but did she listen? !!!!!!!!! I had the sense to print out my PB readings done at home so the Consultant was ok with it. Upshot is that I should resume my life gently, take plenty of rests and gradually regain my confidence. He suggested having a driving lesson with an Advanced Instructor just to feel happy that I am in full control again. So I count myself very, very lucky and blessed that with the medication and the lifestyle changes, I can reduce my risk of another TIA or stroke. Phew! This website has made me realise how important it is to share our worries with others in the same boat!

I hope you continue to get better and get your life back. xx

• Posted

Fab Fab Fab news, I'm so happy to hear a happy story, Yes keep with the medicine and healthy eating, you will be fine, I rang about my echocardiogram and by the tone of her voice I think it slipped the net😳, so I've got to wait for that appointment, I'm waiting on results of MRI and 7 day loop monitor, bloods on the 4th, So bloody slow down here, HaHa I too have white coat syndrome, Last year I went to the docs about my ears and I asked her to do my BP while I was there as it had been some years! that was fine, So she done my pulse and it was way high about 160 I said it's because I'm here, So I get a bit of an AFIB when I'm anxious, hence the loop.

Let you know the outcome when I know.

Have that glass of red wine lol 😊 Take care and try and put it behind you xxx

• Posted

I meant to ask you, did they say it happened because of your high BP xx
    • Posted

Your message was delightful and how did you know I'd have a glass of red tonight? You are a mind-reader! It happened because of a combination of things ie out of control BP, dehydrated, stress, lack of sleep, overload of saturated fats esp. butter & cheese, missing meals and filling up with chocolate bars, too much vino too quickly and a lack of exercise. On their own probably ok but a lethal mix all together. What a lesson to have learnt.

Cheers! xx

Let me know how things go for you and keep pushing for information and appointments. xx xx

• Posted

Ooh sounds I bit like me, crisps, cheese , biscuits, popcorn, vodka and smoking, Think my body said enough is enough, I've kept off all the fats even made my own sweet chille sauce for my noodles, no sugar or salt, drastically reduced fags, nearly given them up, moderate drinking, Actually they say the red wine is not too bad in moderation, so enjoy 🍷but no πŸ•πŸŸπŸ°πŸ¨πŸ«πŸ³πŸžπŸ§πŸͺ only πŸŽπŸπŸŠπŸ‹πŸ’πŸ‡πŸ‰πŸŒ½πŸ…πŸ†πŸ πŸπŸπŸŒπŸˆπŸ‘πŸ“ haha, happy days.

will keep you informed xxx

• Posted

Hi Karen

Was just thinking about you and wondering how you are getting on? I am keeping on going with a more healthy lifestyle but finding life a bit of a challenge! I so miss the vino, take-aways and chips!!!! Latest bloods were good and blood pressure remains lowish. I find though, I am worrying about having another TIA! How about you? BW, Annette x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.