Tib and Fib fracture orif surgery....others experience

Posted , 7 users are following.

was hit by a car side on whilst riding motorcycle..it crushed my leg and had surgery next day..3months in plaster then went into boot but still non weight bearing for 2months.total nwb 5 months.although started physio exercise at3 months. This week surgeon said full weight bear no more boot.so i was told to full weight bear and so i tried not possible due to pain.spoke to physio he said no dont use full weight,mayeb 10-%20.so im barely putting weight on.stabbing pain in sole of foot and hurts so bad...Has anybody had experience of any of these injurys or so long non weight bearing and how did you progress.i have plate and screw inserted. also distal tibia fracture...thaanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi peter.

I shattered my ankle. I have 2 plates and screws in both tibia and fibula and 2 screws inner ankle bone. I was not walking unaided until 5 months post surgery. I was in a camboot/ airboat for months. I was in agony when first weight bearing and using crutches. I had a very hard time both physically and mentally. I have poor quality bones and my injuries where very severe. My inner ankle bone is more or less round as fragments broke off and it still hasn't healed. I'm gathering but could be wrong that you're young/ youngish so you may get there quicker than me. Don't let the doctors push you before you are ready. You will know your capability and your body will say yes or no. Listen to it. I really feel for you as I can tell you have suffered extremely. Be careful and I do hope you quickly improve. 🙂

• Posted

After non weight bearing, I found firstly whilst sitting just to put foot to the floor for a couple of minutes then build up from there. After a while started whilst still sitting to tap the foot gentle up and down. 

Remember first time I put foot to floor brought it  straight back up as pins and needles felt like electric shock. Just build up gradually as advice given by msCamboot. 

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your injury Peter. I'm not walking yet but able to fully weight bear and I'm at 5 mos today. I broke in two places as you and dislocation. I've gone thru the full spectrum of pain. From most posts here there are a few of us with high impact injuries and they seem to take longer. Keep doing what you can your body will let you know what is too much or just enough. I wish you well....

ps. not all PT know what is right for us as they follow a plan for most with normal breaks.....sometimes there are injuries that do not follow the norm. Keep trying, your doing great! 

• Posted

thanks for reply nice to know others experience so dont feel so alone.as normal people dont understand the physical and mental (especily so) torment that occours whilst nwt..im 34 and physio said its a bad injury so recovery i guess takes longer.im happy that i putting 10-20 percent weight on though an ankle feels happier for it i think..keep going mscamboot and push any negativity away.and thanks gill have foot on floor now feels good to have foot free lol.and jannie how can u full weight bear and not walk.wish i could

• Posted

Thank you for the posting, Peter.

I am still on my first week post-op, 5th day...broke left ankle, have a plate and screws, Making a slow progress, took the advice to rest and elevate as much as possible, ice packs...started toe wiggling exercises. Only dreaming of weight bearing and walking of course...weeks away. Glad you mentioned the phycological aspect of nwt, that's the toughest for me. Keeping you mind positive is a key thing I believe, even for a physical healing if it makes sense

• Posted

Hi peter

i only could just fully weight bear about 3 weeks ago. My affected foot/ leg is so hyperextended if I try to take a step unaided my foot can't hold me. I hate the walker but it's getting me going, I'm going to try forearm crutches as I can't do under arm crutches. Whatever works, I dream about walking all the time. I know I'm going get there just don't know how or when , but im ready!! Keep n 👣

• Posted

You have been in a cast and NWB for some time, much longer than most, so your muscles have probably atrophied quite a bit, which is totally normal. I lost 1/3 of the muscle in the leg after 7 weeks to give you an idea. Things may take a bit longer for you, since you have been a cast so long, so don't go by averages. Giving you my experience, I was told to go 25% WB, or whatever I could handle up to 25%, for the first week and to up it by 25% each week, but I concur with everyone else to just let pain be your best guide, and to know that everyone has different injuries, pain levels, muscle mass, and abilities.  I have been working very hard and pushing on WB for 3-1/2 weeks and can walk with one crutch, and a few steps without any crutches, but it is very exhausting on days I push hard, and the more I push the more pain, so I have had to learn to balance it all. It's hard not to get impatient. You learn what works best by trial and error.  I thought of 25% WB as a tap on the floor, while walking on crutches. I like the idea that has been recommended here of sitting and pressing your foot down to gain strength too (basically do anything you can do to gain strength). I remember feeling a lot of pain in my heel at first, just like you have, and thought it was kind of strange. I think that may be normal, just from not using it, and having it casted for so long. It took about a week or two for my heel pain to go away completely. I had pins and needles and a ton of pain on the top of my foot and big toe, which I have almost managed to massage out, after a lot of massage work at it. 
    • Posted

pins and needles in bottom of foot still nearly gone although 6days weight bearing at between 10-20 percent.leg muscles and ankle ache every nighgt but next day actually feel slightly stronger.did abit of walking at weekend main thing ankle hurts whilst 2nd half of walk movement ...

• Posted

All sounds normal. You're doing great! It hurts to fire things back up again, but they do fire up.
  • Posted

yes can stay static eh.use it or lose it the hard work starts now.done 2.5 miles on exercise bike today.done my exercises although not been anywhere today i walked up and down putting weight on best i could for ten minutes

• Posted

Wow! Amazing you can do the exercise bike already! Great job! Love your attitude. I agree with your "use it or lose it" philosophy. All of us hurt, but in different degrees, and we have to do what we can to move forward. However small we may feel our steps forward are each day, don't worry, we know it is a big deal when you push forward. Just wanted to say congrats to everyone who wakes up and tries a bit more each day! A step at a time....we will get there.
    • Posted

Great job! can not wait to start my work on that ankle, but stiil some weeks ahead before doctor will okay the cast removal
  • Posted

i went on exercise bike whilst still non weight bearing .hardly any pressure though i took this step myself lol.keep positive people its the only way. the other way is head demanding mind games can nearly brought me to tears lol.positiveness
  • Posted

I also found using exercise bike very beneficial, helped to strengthen leg muscles, so when it came to weight bearing made it a lot easier.

Today returned to work for first time in five months. I have stood for over five hours, ankle swollen so now elevating, but what a feeling, yea I did it.

• Posted

well done on weight bearing for so long...My leg doesnt appear to have any muscle from knee up lol.did a little workout last night 300 steps 2miles on bike aswell as stretches.taking it easier today as calf aching ..work it ,eat ,sleep, repeat....Whats peoples opinions on using ice packs on foot.i used 1 last night after all workout i did and felt nice.i see physio tomorow for 1st time since been told can weight bear so see what new exercises he gives me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.