Tib/Fib Fracture and Dislocation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I broke my tib/fib and dislocated it on May 28th and had surgery on June 5th. I'm almost 10 weeks post up, and I have an air cast now.

I had my first physical therapy 2 weeks ago and they cleared me to start walking. However, I still am using my crutches. I do put a minimum amount of weight on my bad ankle, but it mostly all is on my crutches. I  still feel a lot of discomfort when trying to walk and I haven't made much progress.

The range of movement to my ankle is okay.. It's about 50% what it used to be. I am only 24 years old and I am very worried that I will never be able to walk normally or that this healing process is going to take even longer than it already has..

For anyone else that has gone through this, is this normal? Should I be walking without crutches by now?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Of course you'll be able to walk again normally, but it will take time. I am into 11 months of post snapped displaced Fibula and dislocated ankle. 5 months ago I had a bone graft, plate and 6 screws. I had no healing. Non union. Well learning to walk, reconnect brain/foot, took a lot of patience and a lot of encouragement. Difficult time, but efforts very rewarding. Thanks m not running, but can weight bare fine. Like you, I never thought I'd see the day. I don't limp.

My bone in surrounding area is very soft, due to my extra long journey.

Get a good physio. Massage lightly the area to try to wake it up. Gentle exercises from Physio to start, then once your foot responds, take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back. Little and often I was told. I still use a Walker for big distances.

No pain to speak of now, but I do get swelling.

Good luck!

©{°×°}©

• Posted

We have similar breaks . My surgery was on May 13th. I have a plate and 7 screws on one side and 2 screws on the other. I'm still not getting around normally yet. I'm in an ankle brace and I'm you using a cane. I started my FWB by using one crutch. It did hurt to walk and it still hurts to walk. Eventually you are going to have to start putting weight on it even though it's painful. Just don't overdo it and still massage and ice it after being on it. I'm pretty sure tha TV I still have a ways to go before I can walk normally again. Patience. You'll get there. Good luck.

• Posted

I had the same breaks and dislocation. I am 70! I was full weight bearing after 10 weeks and walked without aid. You will experience swelling and discomfort when you are weight bearing and walking. PT will start making a difference. Just dedicate yourself to it. I am now 18 weeks and walking normally and doing stairs normally. I still have a small amount of swelling. Remember RICE. It really helps.
  • Posted

Also there is a wonderful Facebook site called Broken ankle ,foot, and leg. Lots of people in similar circumstances from all over the world post on there. It's a great place for questions and to commiserate

• Posted

Sorry The actual name is Broken Ankle , Foot , Leg Recovery. On a Quest for Normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.