Tibia pain after TKR

Posted , 3 users are following.

Around 6 weeks post op, developed severe pain in thr top of my tibia (shinn) when my knee is extended or bent the pain will actually wake me up. In extension straight leg) it feels like the top of my shinn is colliding with the knee cap.

Saw the physician azzistant yesterday who thinks it is because i don't have full extension. How do I get that when it feels like things are colliding together?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I still have tibia pain and have full extension, 120-125 bend plus just passed my TKR 1 year mark on Oct. 19! I notice it more when my knee is bent at 90 degrees sitting at the desk top.
  • Posted

Unless the doc has discovered an "out of alignment" situation (always checked at around six weeks...x-ray...draw a straight line from hip to ankle...aligned if the line goes right through the middle of the knee) that needs to be corrected, you may have just hit a plateau...worse than a setback.  With a setback, you know you pushed the knee too far and it swells with increased pain.  Simply back off, rest, ice, elevate and then resume GRADUALLY.

Plateaus are horrible.  I got stuck at -4 for weeks...very frustrating.  Felt like something was "in the way".  I just kept going to PT and finally got from -4 to -1 in two weeks.  That damn scar tissue can be really tough...and it's different for everyone.  Your DNA controls how much scar tissue you generate...so now you know where to place the blame...your mom and dad!!!

If the doc says everything OK, what you're feeling is the scar tissue.  Keep going.  Six weeks is still very, very early.  This whole thing takes a year before you're past 99% of it and feeling almost normal again.  Long road ahead...stay strong...stay focused.  Do the work...be good to yourself.

• Posted

Are you getting out patient PT? If so have your therapist work on straightening your knee flat to the surface.

What is your sleeping position at night? Try sleeping on your back with the leg straight. Wedge pillows in on each side of yourself if necessary to keep in position all night. Apply light heat to your leg with heating pad to relax the muscles. DO NOT PUT PILLOWS UNDER YOUR KNEE. Try to keep your leg elevated as much as possible.

Doing your PT  is absolutely critical.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.