Tibial fracture after 8 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

So i fractured my left tibia on march 3 and was immediately put on a cast that is up to above knee. After 4 weeks i came back to the hospital and got a new cast that is only up to below my knee. Today i just came back to the hospital and found on my xray that it still did not form callus. Then my doctor advised me to put on 25% of my weight on that leg, and i began physical therapy. He said that after 4wks i can remove my cast. I was kinda worried though, is my case normal? Hoping for some advise, also its kinda depressing to not be able to do things for long time

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not exactly sure,I broke my tib and fib on 3/13/18.I had ORIF surgery tho,however I think putting weight on it after a certain point stimulates bone growth. I wish I could be more help,but I'm still just 20% weight bearing and still on ice and elevation....haven't had my next xrays yet, not sure if I have a callus yet

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! Will be back to the hosp again tomorrow for another xray and hopefully its all fine now
  • Posted

I meant to add,every case is individual, if yoyr doc wasnt overly concerned, just move to the next steps of your recovery. It is depressing needing assistance and not being fully mobile,but some days will be better or worse...it's quite an experience....

• Posted

Hi! So,I saw ortho on the 13th....not much bone growth, but things are still aligned. Sooo,I went from 20% WB, to 50% on 5/03/18. On the 13th,he shoved me to 75%WB for 2 weeks,then to 100% following that. He said the weight will stimulate bone growth. My physical therapist allows me to do as much as I can,without pain. I use my walker to help me get comfy and moving. Repeat xrays on june 13,hopefully more growth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.