Tibolone long term?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Girls,

I have been taking Tibolone for 7 years, and there has always been fors and against taking them. I would like to share my pesonal experience, I was told  by my Doctor to try and wean myself off them as I had hit that crucial stahe of 5 years where they do not recommend that you take them any further! I did what they asked and for three months I reduced to half per day, recommended rather than one every other day, I have to admit I managed well, didn't really have a huge impact, so I thought I would try half every other day to reduce it further, within a week, my symptoms came back with a vengeance, I felt generally unwell, my bones hurt, headaches, mood swings and panic, it was horrific, so on that basis I spoke to my Gp and I have restarted my Livial, one per day, to say that these tablets change my life is an understatement, for me personally the beefits far outway the supposed risks, I am happy I will take them for many years to come as long as you are checked I really don't see why you should suffer if you don't have to? Good Luck to you all and I hope that this post will at least make you feel a bit more relaxed. My Gp said that some women can manage after 5 years of HRT but some need it up until ten years depending on the severity of your symptoms, All Gp's are different, I think they just have to stand on the side of caution as with any drugs, For me, no-one knows my body like me, and if it makes me feel well and able to function normally then I am all for it, Tibolone for me has been a lifesaver and long may it be prescribed for us Girls.    

6 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Karen!  

Thanks for your post, I found it very reassuring. I'm 67 and have been on Tibolone for around 9-10 years and doing well on it.  I get my prescription 6 monthly when I meet with the practice nurse who generally asks me if I check my breasts regularly and takes my blood pressure.  But I wondered what you meant when you said "as long as you are checked" as I have wondered if I should be getting other checks such as cervical smears etc. 

i'd be grateful for any advice in this. 

Thanks again and best wishes! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.