Tics/jumps and random neck movement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

My include blackouts, migraines, tremors, shaking, easy dehydration, and sinus/inflammation.

At 18 I had an EEG done, which showed normal results, however around the same time, symptoms started to worsen as I started experiencing random head and neck movements. I also started experiencing psychological symptoms, which disappeared later after a diet change, but the physical and other neurological symptoms remained.

About the diet: I keep a simple diet, avoiding grains and sugar.

It's been 10 years since that time, and have had trouble from time to time, but am concerned today regarding a new symptom:

It feels like my head and neck want to constantly shake(like shaking no). If I try to be still, it feels like it has to move somehow to get that weird energy out.

It feels ridiculous, like I'm losing my mind.

I'm not experiencing a "high". I've had 1 cup of coffee this morning.

I would like to get some opinions regarding the beginning symptoms and the current new ones.

Thanks for any input

- Mr shake-a-lot

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joshua, I've had neck tremors that happened only when I was extremely nervous (like public speaking) for about 20 years.  The past few years, the tremors got worse - my head shakes in a no-no pattern even when I wasn't nervous.  Some days were worse than others.  I went to 2 neurologists, one said Essential Tremor, the other said Cervical Dystonia because the tremor is made worse by certain head positions and is irregular.  The past couple months it's been REALLY bad when I drive, to the point where my head either shakes a lot or my neck muscles get really sore, I'm thinking from trying to hold my head still. 

The treatment the neurologist recommended is Botox injections, but I opted not to do them yet as the tremor isn't bad all the time, mostly when I drive and I can relieve it somewhat by rubbing the back of my neck when driving.  I'm kind of scared that the Botox will paralyze too much of my neck and/or it'll stop working eventually - so I'm trying to put that off as long as possible.

I've taken it upon myself to take magnesium, vitamin B and vitamin D supplements.  Not sure if those are helping or not (I'm afraid to stop them and get worse), but they might be.  I've also been rolling the muscles on the back of my neck and shoulders with a tennis ball (against a wall) every night to work out the knots.  Not sure if any of this is helping, but it seems like maybe it is.

I try not to get upset when my head is shaking in a social situation, and just tell people I have a movement disorder.  Most people are interested, and not really bothered or treating me like I'm a freak.  I just feel better putting it out there than trying to hide it. 

I try to remember there are people a lot worse off than me, but some days it's really depressing and I think why is this happening to me.  I pray about it, for the strength to handle whatever life throws at me, and I think I'm doing pretty okay.

Hope this helps.  Look up Cervical Dystonia, maybe that is what you have.

• Posted

How are you today?

By accident, I see your "shake" experience.  Does moving your head relieve pain ?  Does the movement just happen ... without aforethought, or intention?

You are young.  What happened to you?

My tar dive dyskinesia started years ago .... its in and around the mouth and jaw ---- involuntary movements .. got so bad my teeth would chatter, and I could not stop.

Now, I believe I have dystonia in my neck ....  Lots of pain and involuntary movements of my head.  Now, it's every day, all day.

Who have you asked for help ?  Do other people see this?  Get educated.

• Posted

Joshua84065,

Have you been diagnosed with TD? My head shakes so much, and tremors, that it impairs my vision. It happens every morning and lasts for about 2 hours. It disappears as quickly as it started.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.