Tietze’s and vitamin deficiency?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all- 

I’ve been researching every symptom I’ve had since first diagnosed a few months ago with costochondritis (and Tietze’s Syndrome, though that was self-discovered). Racing/pounding heart, palpitations, general body aches, muscle spasms, severe headaches. One of the things I’ve largely ignored that kept coming up in search results was magnesium deficiency, which can cause all of those symptoms. 

Tomorrow I’m going to pick up a magnesium supplement (honestly, I’m willing to try anything to get rid of these issues), but I was wondering if anyone here has tried managing/curing costo or Tietze’s symptoms with vitamin supplements (magnesium in particular but I’m interested in any)?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for posting this message. I too have recently been wondering about taking a Magnesium supplement. In the past I have taken Cod Liver Oil and Glucosamine with Chondroitin supplements, but haven't had success with them, despite having taken then for 3 months.

Currently the things that work best for me are walking for at least an hour a day, very gentle stretches and trying to remain positive and distracted. Bit by bit my arms seem to be moving better. The worst symptoms for me is that I find it hard to sit because of upper abdonimal / chest pains, so any thoughts on this from anyone who reads this would be most welcome. I've been wondering about trying TENS treatment and Acupuncture too. Any thoughts?

I've had Costo for 14 months and believe that there is some improvement, or perhaps I'm just managing the pain better? I'm less anxious now I've had every available test, and several scans to rule out anything sinister. I now rarely take more than 2 painkillers a day, whereas in the beginning I was taking 8. I alternate between prescription Co Codamol, Paracetamol and Ibroprofen to try to decrease the likelihood of too much dependency on one sort. They never make the pain disappear but help to take the edge off. Sometimes I feel like I'm treading water, waiting for my normal life to return!

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the Magnesium. There's so many brands and strengths available it's diffucult to know which to choose. Good Luck!

• Posted

I’m going to try to get Magnesium Taurate, though it may be hard to find where I live. I will definitely keep people posted on how it works. 

I’m also finding that eating more than a very light meal/snack is causing palpitations, so I’ll be experimenting with foods as well to see how that helps/hurts. 

Exercise seems to help me some as well, I would recommend to anyone with costo or Tietze’s to try at least a short walk every day, even when symptoms are bad. 

What kind of stretches do you do?

• Posted

Thanks for the Magnesium info. Regarding the stretches, this is my routine (mostly done in front of a mirror, to check posture, while standing, because sitting is too painful):

- Turn head to left, looking over shoulder, holding for 30 secs. Repeat to right.

- Tilt left ear towards left shoulder, holding for 30 secs. Repeat to right.

- Clasp hands in front of the body, at chest height, and slowly turn as far to the left as is comfortable and hold for 30 secs. Repeat to right.

- Stand in a doorway. Place bent arms on door frame and gently lean upper body forward to make the chest stretch. Hold for 30 secs. Move back to a 'neutral' position. Move arms further up the frame and stretch forward again for 30 secs. Lastly, move arms as high up the frame as possible for the final stretch.

- Raise arms very slowly one at a time, as high as you can manage, for 30 secs each arm

- Raise arms overhead then make slow 'Snow Angel' movements x 5.

- With arms by your sides, roll shoulders back x 5, then forward x 5.

A Physio told me that there was no benefit to be had from doing these stretches for any longer than 30 secs or to the point of too much pain. Try to do them 3 times a day. Patience is required!

I've had to abandon using my Backpod for the time being due to recently being diagnosed with BPPV (Vertigo) which makes lying down problematic as I get dizzy. I would definitely continue using it if I could because it has helped a lot.

I hope my descriptions of the stretches make sense. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the info! I’ll definitely try those stretches- I’ve been doing some stretching, but I hadn’t really focused on the chest/arms/shoulders. 

I’m sorry to hear about the vertigo, I’m sure that complicates things immensely, especially if you’re already having pain from sitting. 

• Posted

Long story short: it can be a very long process to get better from costo. Taking any meds for just a week or two may not show result but longer (months) use can. Apart from Mg, I've been taking vit B6 and D, along with curcumin extract (the spice itself can be used too) for over a year. My DR gave me meloxicam for pain and inflammation and I took that for about 9 months too. 18 months in, I am OK most days, ie near normal without meds or supplements. Vid D in winter months is probably a good idea even for healthy people...

Good luck finding your happy cocktail!

• Posted

Do any of you get the feeling that your chest is being stretched with Tietze’s? 
    • Posted

I have had that feeling, yes. There will be times when it feels like I’ve either got a tight band squeezing my upper ribs, or else like it’s being pushed out and stretched from the inside. 
  • Posted

It doesn’t make any difference trued that use ice packs aqua puncture rest is important no heavy lifting or stretching
  • Posted

Hello

I justvrecwntly had b12 test and was really low so currently having injections. Its makes you feel dreadful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.