Tietze Syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed yesterday.  I started with having the flu (influenza B).  I had the flu shot back in October.  Obviously didn’t work.   I’ve never felt so sick in my life.  Ended up in the ER because I couldn’t catch my breath. I live alone and it was 3 am.   The ambulance put in an IV for fluids and a nebulizer for breathing.  The ER continued the fluids and nebulizer tx.  They then gave me an injection of some kind of pain reliever because it felt like my ribs were broken from coughing so violently and uncontrollably.   I went home around 7 hours later.  I took Tamaflu for the 5 days, cough medicine with codeine and ibuprofen (600mg) every 6 hours.  Nothing helped.  Coughing eventually turned into bronchitis.  Now on prednisone and an abbuterol inhaler.   Yesterday I thought I was having a heart attack because the pain in my upper left chest was so sharp and stabbing and continuous.  I couldn’t move without crying in pain.  Back to urgent care.  Doc diagnosed me with Tietze Syndrome.   Prescribed muscle relaxers, rest and ice.  I’m in bed. Can’t move without crying in pain.  I have leftover hydrocodon from a minor surgery last Summer.  Doesn’t even help.  I have an ice pack on my ribs.  I’m so afraid to cough or even move.   I’m alone.  I called a friend, I have a hard time asking for help.  I told her what’s going on. She said well try and rest, I’ll be home if you need anything. I can’t even move...  I thought telling her how much pain I was in was pretty clear that I need help.  Apparently not.  I don’t know what to do... I’m feeling really sad and vulnerable.   

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you are so miserable.  I've had costo for about 2 years now and am currently in another flare-up.  Hope it passes soon.  I have trouble breathing, some pain and lots of dizzyiness from shallow breathing.  These conditions are so miserable it can really ruin the quality of our lives.  I spent a year and a half on bedrest for most of the day.  I couldn't breathe while standing or sitting, only while laying down.  It's been so painful and miserable to not be able to do anything!  When I am feeling better I still have to be very careful of what I do, especially no lifting of anything more than a couple of pounds.

You will have to ask for the specific help that you need.  People don't understand how much pain you're in or what you can and can't do.  I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and advice flowergirl.  I called my son (17), who lives mostly with his dad.   He came over and said he’ll stay here for the week with me to help me.  This makes me feel a bit more optimistic.   He is such a kind person.   He has empathy for others, not just his momwink.  My pain is continuous.  Nothing even puts a dent in it.  I’m open to all suggestions no matter how creative!  
    • Posted

Feeing more comfortable.  Son made some light snacks.  90 minutes later after eating and resting, I’m feeling very relaxed.  
    • Posted

I'm happy to hear that your son will be helping you.  I'm also happy that you are feeling a little better. .  Get lots of rest and don't lift anything more than a couple of pounds.  Take care.

• Posted

I hope this letter finds you in better health and of a sound mind. I was just wondering what you have done not to long ago that caused the pulled muscle. That's what it is a pulled muscle in your sternum. And when you got sick and started to cough and body changed is when it would have brought it on full force .evermove fills like a sharp breath and makes it even worse with certain movement. Try to put hot and cold rub on it. it will help.Vicks vipor rub. Don't have them a heating pad. if not that than rub your hands together and get them real hot .and softly go in a open palm circular motion .very gently . and right in threw the nose and out threw the mouth breaths.pray. it will get better .God please put your hands of healing on this person and heal them and renew there mind from the pain. And you know you could ask Dr for a anti depression pill something very light and for a few months to get you over this whammy you have going on. God don't want us to suffer if were not at that healing moment. Amen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.