tight achey feeling at the front of the neck around the adams apple

Posted , 7 users are following.

wondering if anyone else gets this its like an achey feeling around where your adams apple is? its very annoying and i am starting to focus and worry about it. my mum said could be how i am sleeping and obviously my anxiety as I have really bad health anxiety but as you know we always think the worst.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'd be tempted to treat it as a real thing, as an allergic reaction perhaps? Ask chemist for advice, possibly an antihistamine . See if that helps. For some immediate relief try a tea towel wet with cold water to cool the area off. I hope you feel better soon . Cheers.
  • Posted

I have read quite a lot of posts about localised pain such as chest pain or around the neck as well as breathing difficulties due to anxiety.  A lot of people with gha tend to quote these sensations.  If you worry about a part of your body not working then that will preoccupy your thoughts and eventually this takes over in worrying form.

Richard

• Posted

Hi Ashley,

Could be down to quite a few things,i had same problem when i was younger and basically it was down to snoring,so went for sleep apnoea test and they said that I did suffer from that a little,later on,(I'm 64 now) i found out I had Barretts Esophagus and reflux plus hiatus hernia.

However I don't think that is your problem,best to get it checked out by your doctor,he/she will find out,it's not worth delaying things if it persists.

In the meantime,don't worry too much until you know the cause,it will only make it seem worse,good luck!

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hi Ashley, obviously it is sensible Togo to your docs and rule out anything else, however this seems to be a classic sign of anxiety, I too have healthy anxiety and one of the first few physical symptoms I felt was a feeling as though somebody had there hand around the bottom of my neck! And it made my throat feel very small, I thought my tonsils might be enlarged or something and I was scared to lie down incase my throat got blocked, I went to the docs and they said it was anxiety, and then a few days/weeks later this feeling disappeared!

I've recently started getting it again though and it does feel wierd.

Try not to concentrate on your symptoms and hopefully they should go away :-)

I also experience heart palpiltations, random pains throughout my entire body, weak arms or legs at times, tinnitus, pulsitle tinnitus, breathlessness, dizziness, sometimes when I'm walking I feel like someone pushing back on me. I get shivers inside my body.

What other symptoms do you experience? X

• Posted

I have all the feelings you just said, how do you get rid of anxiety or at least slow it down
  • Posted

do you think it could be how i am sleeping? i tend to fall asleep on the sofa and my necks allways bent and in an unuual position
    • Posted

No I think it's the anxiety, is a clasic symptom. I know it's hard but try not to concentrate on it and I'm sure t will dissapear
  • Posted

I have same problem at this moment, how to treate it, what did you take medication for it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.