Tight chest and tender ribs on Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Any one got chest symptoms that aren't going away?

been told its inflammation in the ribs but wondering if its anxiety that has taken hold after taking this med 20mg for 12 months?

Think I may be holding my breath without even realising?

Would be interesting to hear if anyone else suffers?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have had trouble breathing for about 2 months but this came before starting celexa. I started celexa and I feel as if it got worse in a way. I just ride it out and deal with it. I'm going to get checked for asthma.

• Posted

have had an x ray and asthma test and bloods done . All comeback normal,good luck 
  • Posted

Jayne, sometimes asthma doesn't show up in xrays. It sometimes is an allergic reaction, weather, or surroundings.

• Posted

I was given a ventolin inhaler when my breathing started to be shallow and heavy, it's the only thing that helps.

• Posted

I have a uncle who was 30 when he was diagnosed with asthma. He passed all tests
  • Posted

Hi Jayne

If the doctor told you it's inflammation of the ribs then it's probably costochondritis, inflammation of the cartilage. I get this, I've had it for years. It can be caused by injury, lifting heavy objects or excessive coughing following colds or chest infections but it may be also be caused by stress. Stress and anxiety causes inflammation and this can cause costochondritis. It comes and goes with me. I just take pain killers. My flares usually lasts several weeks but sometimes they go away in a matter of days or weeks. It can be quite painful especially when putting slight pressure on the ribs. It can also affect your breathing, it does with me.....

• Posted

Thats really helpful to hear, Thank you.

It started when I had a bad cough in Feb, just don't seem to be able to get on top off?

Makes my breathing shallow and that makes things worse.Ok in the morning and sometimes feels like someone is sitting on my chest.

• Posted

Hi Jayne

It's not very pleasant I know. Sounds like coughing triggered it for you, anxiety doesn't help either.

Because breathing can hurt with costochondritis we tend not to breath as we normally would to avoid the pain, we take shorter breaths.. Try to do controlled breathing and try to relax. It will go away, I take otc painkillers. There's not much else you can do other than don't lift anything heavy. I've triggered mine off before by stretching cleaning windows and by lifting heavy things.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.