Tight chest with no sputum expelled

Posted , 6 users are following.

First of all, thanks to all of you who post. You are life savers! I was diagnosed with BX 3 years ago after a 2 year period of no help! My symptoms were very different at first with a lot of sputum but now I have the agony of a tight chest with the inability to expel any sputum. I use 3 percent saline 2-3 times a day and lay with my hips elevated doing all the physiology I know how to do. The tightness is more painful than coughing up phlegm for me and it hurts through to my back. I just started an albuteral inhaler but no relief yet. The fatigue is overwhelming at times like these. Some days I think there's really nothing to bring up and Im just irritating my lungs by trying!!! If I didn't have such tightness I wouldn't bother but I know something is wrong! Having fibromyalgia doesn't help because trying to cough makes me hurt all over! Does anyone else have this problem? Most of you are prolific at bringing it up.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I use a lot of things to get mine out, but I gotta ask: who said that lying down with hips elevated would loosen the stuff & bring it up? Long before I met my current pulmo I knew from experience that lying down on my back, then switching to either side for a while, could help get up gunk, and that lying down on my stomach -a position I can't do for long, was most helpful. This rotation/change of positions turns out to be used quite a lot in the fine art of lung pounding. My current pulmo would add that AFTER getting the stuff loosened up, one should lie down on one's stomach with the head hanging off the edge of the bed, tho not so long as to cause any problems. On a good day I can do that a few minutes.

Mostly I don't have to do that. Take some mucus thinners. My doc has me on 1200mg of plain guafenisin twice daily, drinking 8 oz of water each time plus tons o water throughout the day. I use nebulizer treatments to get most of my lung meds & they also help loosen things up. Sometimes I still use my sinus Roto rooter, mechanized way to get saline wash into sinuses of those with massive sinus issues. It's a pain in the neck but moisturizes further into the lungs than just squirting the plastic bottle doesn't.

There's a device you can buy online called an A Capella. It helps move loosened stuff up and out BUT someone knowledgeable needs to set it &train you in correct usage or it's wasted.

• Posted

Hi robyn i to suffer with pain in chest i ave days wen cant get sputum up then makes me sick i also ave been suffering for last 2yrs with sputum all my GP ever gave me was antibotics till went to hospital then after barium swallow test ct scan was telled ave bx dont know if u like me ave gud days bad days wen some days spitting sputum up i really belive its all this coughin causing all the pain in our bodys but i ave chest pain regular i just ave to sit down im fast asleep at moment i only take carbocistiene med to help sputum get thinner to bring up but i dont think they helping more so take 6 day plus other nedication im on days i feel low yes its nice to know to share illness regards tony
  • Posted

I would like to add that there seems to be a fine line between coughing the whole amount out and over-coughing that gives you a sore spot in your lungs that starts hurting.  When I first started the nebulizer with NaCL, I coughed far too much for the quantitiy. I still have that pain. I try to be smarter about the coughing....coughing not too hard and holding my chest a bit. Not sure if that means anything, but it seems to work. One of the ladies on here told me that the last bit of mucus will come out a few minutes after you stop coughing and move around.  I have seen that happen, but not every time.  I was told "not" to use my Peak flow meter, but that usually tells me if I have cleared out the mucus....if you don't hit your usual number, you still have mucus in there. I would wait a bit before you use the Peak flow meter...too much blowing is not good, I suspect. This is only my opinion that works for me.  I don't have tremendous mucus quantity as yet so I may not be a good example. However, it is enough mucus to make me fatigued.  

• Posted

Hi Robyn, what kind of lifestyle do you have? I know exactly how you feel and I can say from personal experience that my lungs feel more stretchy and relaxed when there is mucus as opposed to when I have none, so I know how uncomfortable you must be feeling.

I'm asking about your lifestyle because everyday activitiy in order to increase blood flow and overall flud circulation is extremely important. This is the no. 1 method for getting the mucus out for me. That's why I've made a habit out of going for a walk every single day.

Yes, pushing and coughing when your lungs are dry is very irritating and painful. I couldn't explain this to my physiotherapist! They insisted that I go to the hospital every morning for physio, but I would end up with lung pain which seemed like thick needles stabbing me all over.

Coffee seems to be very helpful, as far as I know, it's a bronchodilator. Ice cream too, because it makes you produce more saliva, so it's a sort of lube. smile

• Posted

Thank you! That is exactly how I feel, dry and irritated. The chest tightness is very exhausting. I almost would rather have a fluid cough that would move things around. I do push myself most every day to walk because of the tight muscles, but interestingly enough, when I do walk at times like these, the tightness actually lessens after Im walking for a while. However, it resumes later. Right now I think I will not do the physio until I get it calmed down. When I try to cough it is dry and feels like I'm inflaming the situation. I'm still using the nebulized saline 2 x a day. As you know, this is all trial and error as the doctors tell me to find what works fir me! I find it very confusing. Obviously when Im in a state of a s fluid cough, I know more what to do. This, however, is perplexing. I even started a 10 cycle of doxycycline for prevention since I don't know what's down there!!! Is there anything or am I just too inflamed for it to come out? I know one thing, the fatigue is overwhelming, summer is coming, and I have an 8 year old to keep up with! I definitely need guidance!

• Posted

I'm really out of ideas except that maybe you're chronically strained. I know that I'm always very strained during the work week and that my whole body, but primarily my lungs, relaxes on my off days. Are you strained? Do you have an hour or two every day to just lie in bed and do nothing?

I don't know much about the medication you've mentioned, as I'm not taking any of that....

I told you, I have the same problem, when there's mucus, I actually feel better. Without mucus it feels very strange. Maybe we all suffer from some sort of lung hypersensitivity and the mucus just serves as some sort of protection... I don't know. sad Can you find some natural anti-asthma herbal remedies? I have a syrup at home which a herbalist has made for me and it helps my lungs to relax.

• Posted

Hi robyn i ave been on doxycycline in the past they dont touch me i know wat u going through i myself is retired but must be hard work with u avin an 8yr old i have ad chest pain for last 2 yrs im on carbosistein 6 day i ave neva ad nap in afternoon but since been on these tab can nod of anywhere im sick of all this sputum its getting me down wen i ave coughin bout people look at u gone out as though u ave lerge but dont understand wat bx is but im opin one day i will be able to stop coughin this crap up lead normal life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.