Tight feeling to left of belly button

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a tight feeling about two inches to the left of my belly button for 4 months. It's not an unbearable pain but it's always there and it's hard not to let it get me down. Certain movements seem to make it worse. Standing up straight or making small movements such as when cooking are when it's worst. It's not so bad when I'm walking fast, sitting or lying down - it's still there but more vague.

I've had blood tests and yesterday had a colonoscopy which was clear. I'm relieved but just want to know what it is so I know what to do about it. It doesn't seem to be related to food. I experienced a few months of loose stools which resolved, but then this pain started. It's like there's a knot to the left of my belly button. It's not so bad when I first get up in the morning, then it gradually gets worse as the day goes on.

My doctor says it's irritable bowel syndrome, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Since your doctor has diagnosed you with IBS after tests, you now know what you have. Were you not given a patient leaflet about IBS which explains the condition and possible treatments? Did your doctor mention the Low Fodmap Diet or food diary and prescribe antispasmodic medication? He should have mentioned these things. If he didn't, see him again and ask about these options.

Your symptoms sound like IBS, but you should take the word of your doctor first since he is the expert and accept his diagnosis. He would not have said IBS if he had not been sure. Doctors usually only diagnose IBS when they are satisfied that tests have ruled everything else out. In your case, he seems to have done so. When you accept your IBS, it will help you to cope with the condition and it will relieve your anxieties.

Everyone experiences IBS differently. I had constipation, loose stools, back pain, shifting abdominal pain with four different types of pain and nausea. for three and a half months Once I got my IBS diagnosis, my panic cleared up and my symptoms improved. This happened because I accepted my diagnosis. DIagnosis acceptance is key to managing the condition as well as controlling stress. Did your mention the connection between stress and IBS? The two are strongly linked.

• Posted

hi,

i dont know if this is similar to what you are describing but recently i have the feeling of slight cramp to the right of my belly button around 2 inches away as i look down my body

feels asif someone is constantly poking their finger into that location.. i have recently been suffering with stress and anxiety although i belive that this has within the last two weeks reduced heavily.... (why is ibs happening now?) i havent been diagnosed with ibs altho i have recently experienced 70% of the symptoms of ibs... what was your outcome was the tension in your belly 2 inches from your belly button put down to ibs?

• Posted

i should also add that ive had blood tests and urine tests done within the last 6 weeks and all have come back clear... i also have just finished a months course of anti biotics for a uti altho i dont think this is related... unless the anti biotics have played a part?

• Posted

Hi. I wonder if the antibiotics are playing a part. I don't know if it's coincidence but my consultant recommended probiotics and the pain is a lot better. Also I am loathe to say it but I think stress does play a big part. I think I was so worried about what it could be, my mind was going overtime. Once I'd had the colonoscopy, I started to relax and things improved. Good luck, it's a lonely place when you are suffering pain which no one can see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.