Tight rubber band feeling around ankle

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all,

I am new to this part of the forum, and not even sure i am posting  my problem to the correct section..but here goes

I am a 50 yr old, having a funny feeling in my ankles for a couple of days. I get the feeling as if I have a rubber band around my ankle even though I have neither socks or have had socks the whole day. It is not painful, but its a tight rubber band feeling which is a little unsettling.

Any idea what this can be, what should I do about it (apart from seeing a doctor that is). Is it serious? Any home remedies for this?

Any help / suggestions are most welcome and helpful.

Thanks a lot!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

well, it sounds like you might have one of the many symptoms thats associated with peripheral neuropathy, so get yourself to a doctor and have a full blood panel done. I have the same thing...a weird incredibly tight feeling around the feet and toes like someone has wound super tight rubber bands around my feet.

The news isnt good, because if it IS peripheral neuropthy it tends to progress slowly but surely and gte a lot worse...permanently....but the important thing is to move swiftly and start the damage control.

Rule out diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, Lymes Disease, thyroid dysfunction. Also toxic poisoning and nerve entrapment.

Make sure your weight is within normal limits, cause its harder for your body to function if you are obese, and exercise is So important{and so hard to do when you are uncomfortable or in pain.}

These tests  wiill take awhile to complete {I also recommend...or ask your doc about... a small nerve fiber hole punch biopsy which is not painful, I know, sounds painful but its a very quick needle prick under local anasthesia to the leg or foot to remove a tiny sample of tissue and determine the extant of the damage.Theres also another test they do that involves lying down and having tiny pin pricks administered up and down your arms and legs also to measure reaction, damage and condition of nerve endings.}

The bad news is, not a lot can be done to help advanced periferal neuropathy but there are some meds that help you deal with it...no guarantees, everyone is different of course. I take Gabpentun which pretty much makes me able to survive, although I only take 600mgs at night cause it gwts me so woozy.

In the morning though it controls the discomfort  enough for me to function fairly well {Im female and 61}

I feel Im having some very good results making sure I  nourish my nerve endings as much as possible in the hopes of growing them back...or slowing  down the damage. Every night  and morning I take MetaNx {super duper vitamin B6 and B12 supplement} alpha lipoic acid,Tumeric, and fish oil and the Gabapenten. And if its at all possible KEEP MOVING!!

Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi, well I think my if you have alot of vitamin d built up it could be bone spurs. Many people get those .
  • Posted

In my case I was diagnosed with Lyme disease and treated. But apparently I have post Lyme disease damage.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you the best and hope you can get treatment.

• Posted

thanks...Iwas treated  for the Lymes...but the neuropathy remains. So trying to build up the nerve endings and keep them healthy is about the only thing you can hope for{aside from finding non opioid  meds to mask the pain}
  • Posted

I HAVE THIS FEELING ... I HAVE FOUND A FEW EXERCISES online THAT HELPI HAVE JUST STARTED A SUPPORT GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR US .... HOPEFULLY IT WILL HELP WITH SOME ADVICE AS PN IS AN UNKNOWN QUANTITY IN RESPECT OF A SINGLE ANSWER FOR ALL SADLY I AM.NEARLY DIAGNOSED and MY SYMPTOMS HAVE AND ARE GETTING WORSE. STILL NOT SEEN A CONSULTANT AND ON.A WAITING LIST YET APPARENTLY IF TREATED EARLY THE BETTER IT IS FOR RESULTS ..... I HAVE READ /FOUND OUT ABOUT PN THROUGH READING OTHERS STORIES or SYMPTOMS TO HELP MYSELF
  • Edited

I have plantar fasciitis. I noticed this feeling around your age and had tests done. That is advisable, but if that is the problem try better shoes less standing or walking and calf stretching exercises like standing straight and putting your hands on a wall for support. put your heels flat on the floor with the injured leg slightly behind the other both feet straight forward. Bend your knees until you feel the. stretch. hold 10 to 15 seconds. repeat 6 to 8 times. Do this and other calf stretching exercises frequently. Mine improves after a few days of that, rest and ibuprofen or Aleve. Good luck hope it helps

• Posted

Thank you Lori! I too have plantar fasciitis. I have since I wrote this, had several check-ups and have started wearing orthotics and better shoes, not that I was not wearing bad shoes before.

I have not had the same feeling for more than a couple of years now, but still get pain in shin bone (only right leg) and of course pain in feet after walking or standing for longer periods.

I will definitely try the calf exercises...anything not to be dependent on pain meds!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.