Tight thigh

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a Tkr on December 13, 2017

Gone through all the pain!!

Bend is good the only issue I'm left with is the thigh on the Tkr side is so tight is causes a slight limp

I've tried every exercise I can think of and I still do my pool pt everyday!

Any suggestions?

I am so happy that I found this site, it has gotten me through many hard days and nights!!

Thank you everyone!!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Its now all about building the quad muscle June. Google "building the quad muscle after a tkr"-there are many links to follow, also, chiko has a guide he often shares on this forum. Both are very helpful.

The quad muscle takes some time to heal after tkr-then the real work begins. Good luck.

• Posted

Is it tight on the top of thigh (quads) or the underneath of thigh (hamstrings)?

Whichever is tight needs strengthening & stretching by to sounds of it.

If you are doing aqua fit it may be your hamstrings that need work. Try hamstring stretches, there are several ones you can do depending on ability& other joint restraints & should be found on the internet. Try looking on YouTube.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

In the pool I put both legs behind me while holding onto the bar at the side of the pool, basically

Reaching backwards with arms and pushing body forwards which really stretches

The front of the thigh. Might be worth a try?

• Posted

I had mine on Feb 24th this year. Out 13 weeks now, since therapy ended I joined the gym to keep up with exercising. I have walked with a limp since the beginning, bothers me so much. I told myself I'm 53 and not walking with a limp all my life even though I'm thankful to be rid of the arthritis pain. I have been doing exercises to stretch my knee as my therapist told me that the limping is due to your leg not being straight. I have been doing exercises for my quads(squats, and the leg hang off the bed with a weight on my ankle, at the gym I'm up to 30 minutes on the treadmill). Yesterday I had a breakthrough I went to the gym after exercising and I walked with no limp. Hoping it stays like that, but I take one day at a time. Today so far no limp. Good luck, and I love this site.

• Posted

I had my TKR on Dec. 19 so we are "knee buddies"! Although I do not have thigh pain, I seem to have developed a different pain. My pain is in the ankle and top of the foot. In fact, walking is painful because of the top of foot. It does not hurt unless I am walking or stretching it.

Keep strengthening the quads and the thigh pain will resolve itself. Also, a tourniquet was used during your surgery on the upper thigh, but I think pain from that should be gone by now.

Any suggestions for my foot pain?

Ellen

• Posted

First, thanks for talking to us from the future.  How is December 2017?  LOL...

You're only 5 months into a year-long recovery.  Progress is always slow, steady and somewhat frustrating...at times.  Remember that your quads have atrophied over time and it takes a while to get all that strength back.  Other muscles compensate and can generate all sorts of pain, tightness and more.  Stretching and heat should help the tightness.  The full exercise program is here...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

• Posted

Massage? Acupuncture? Have similar issue and both provide some relief. I'm 14 months post op bilateral TKR's. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.