Tight throat? Cancer? Anxiety? Advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

the last few months i have been suffering anxiety quite badly, to the point jm googling every symptom, iv diagnosed myself with every symptom going.

i started with a tight throat that doesnt seem to be budging, feels like im being strangled 😦

are these cancer symptoms? no weight loss, still eating normal ect? could this just be anxiety and im looking to far into it thinking its cancer then the anxiety gets worse then the throat isnt getting better

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

yes it seems that you have jumped right to the worst case scenario which is highly unlikely. Are you a smoker? Throat tightness is very common with anxiety. Sounds like you’re healthy so it would help to decrease the anxiety. Reading online is going to tell your brain that something is wrong and you will keep getting the symptoms that you are concerned about. You can’t diagnose yourself online because there’s too many symptoms and conditions on there that won’t pertain to you. But you think they will. That’ll increase your anxiety and symptoms.

so no, it does not sound like cancer. you would experience most likely weight loss, changes in your voice like hoarseness, a cough, sore throat, etc.so it’s best not to put things in your head like that. start with the most common and realistic reasons which would be anxiety. of course it’s always recommended to have a regular physical check up with your doctor at least once a year. If it’s time for that well it’s a good opportunity to discuss how you’re feeling with your doctor. That will give you peace of mind.

• Edited

Hi Laura. I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I have suffered with panic attacks and health anxiety for a number of years. Tight throat has been one of the nasty symptoms i have had in the past.

Over the last few weeks I have been under alot of stress. In the last week I have started having horrendous panic attacks, where my throat goes so dry and I feel like I cant swallow to the point I end up heaving.

I have self refered myself for CBT today and had an initial docs appt and feel so much better for just getting it off my chest.

Have you been to see a GP?

My best advise is stop googling and try to find something to distract yourself when you start to feel anxious. xx

• Posted

yes i went to the doctors as i was having a range of symptoms but none of them added up, then i broke down and he said its anxiety snd to get cbt before i was prescribed anything, my appointment was last week for cbt but the therapist was off so now waiting again for another appointment,

when i first wake its not so bad hut then gets worse through the day, my head also feels full and muzzy if that makes sense,

how long did tour tight throat last and how did you manage to relieve it?

• Edited

bless you it is horrible . Fingers crossed you will get one soon. If you are really struggling try and chase them up. I guess its getting worse throughout the day because you start to worry about it and the more you worry the more noticeable and worse it becomes?

In all honesty it just stopped one day. It is training yourself to not think about it and distract your mind. At the time I did The Linden Theory which really helped and staying off google x

• Posted

I get a tight throat with anxiety, I take Propanonol to help with this, no nasty side effects.

I was taking 10mg but can take 20mg as and when required, it helps with the physical side of anxiety which can be a problem, I find my legs can be like jelly etc, but the Propranonol helps..and does help with the tight throat you mentioned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.