Tightness

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my TKR in August I am fine except for my knee feeling tight. Does anyone  know have Any suggestions how I can loosen it please

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Can't say I know, cause I'm in the same boat, had TKR in Sept, and still have tightness to my knee, ice & therapy is what supposed to help, but was told I'll be up and about in 6 to 8 weeks, tight knee loosen up 4 - 6 months or more. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi there!

I had my first TKR in June and my second TKR in October.

The best exercise I have found to loosen up the stiffness and increase your bend is to place one foot on a step and lean into it to stretch. Hold that for 30 seconds then repeat several times. Since I have had both knees done, I repeat this with my other leg.

I do this several times a day. Works wonders, and you can feel that the gentle stretch is WORKING!

• Posted

I've had two TKR's and one of them had less than good results. It was 3 years ago and it's still tight and stiff on one side and gives me pain. The other was six weeks ago and it's smooth, fluid and no stiffness. Different doctor. different hospital and totally different outcomes. Stiffness is due to muscle shortening and they really need to be stretched and lenthened in order to be more flexible. Ice only helps with swelling. Exercises to help lenghten hamstring muscles helps a lot and exercises to get more flexion will also alleviate the stiffness. It's hard because it hurts! But take something for pain and try it an hour later and burn through the pain if you can because in the end it will ultimately loosten up and movements will be more fuild and painless.

Good luck and know you are not alone in this journey. smile

• Posted

Hi everyone having trouble replying to people hi ann i am at the same stage as you and the last few days this knee has been hell to live with stiff as anythging like a tight band what ive been doing is getting out for a walk doing my bends and i bought some of those pedals so i use them just to try and loosen it i also find my feldine anti inflammatory cream helps also i thought i would share while i have managed to get on this site i had an operation on my right knee years ago and i couldnt straighten it so my physio made me put a bottle of wine at the back of my knee tin of furniture under my heel roll the tin press on the bottle hope this helps people and you can always drink he wine later ha ha
  • Posted

I had my PKR in September. I have found that using my stationary bike has been the best exercise for stretching and loosening the tightness in my knee.

Hope you have access to a bike and good luck!

• Posted

I had ripped cartlidge removed 3 years ago..and my knee still feels strange...very numb too through parts of my leg around it too....i never ever would have had it done if id have kown how it would end up like...i would just have put up with the pain.....😠
    • Posted

It's unfortunate but it happens. My first TKR left me with half of my knee totally numb and that numbness goes gradually down the left side of my calf to the side of my foot. It's 3 years since it was done and the nerve damage is not ever going to return. It's just something to get used to living with forever.
  • Posted

This is still quite early days ann.

When I had TKR 3 years ago I found swimming really helped.

Or you could just go to a hydrtherapy pool.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.