Tightness around Collarbone area

Posted , 4 users are following.

On the 19th December I was moving house and lifting heavy things for the most of the day and using my muscles etc more than normal as you would on days like house moves but I felt fine the day even after lifting a tv stand with one hand onto one shoulder (don't ask why silly me haha). But on the 21st December it all started with my shoulders feeling pushed forward and it then soon spread to neck ache and then the area around my collarbone began to be really tight and my shoulders didn't feel relaxed and I started to have shoulder blade ache as they felt began to felt tight like  they were stopping my shoulders come down due to the tightness around the collarbone area.

Then a week or so later I began with low back ache when laid in bed my back doesn't feel relaxed and feels like it's stuck out but I get no pain it's just an ache/soreness when I walk up stairs etc.

And a week ago both my hands became weak and my wrist/fingers started to ache and my grip was weakened so it appears to have spread to alot of areas.

I am so confused as to what happened from lifting the TV stand and at the moment I have started physio but nothing's improving at the moment which is worrying.

So I've come on here to see if someone else has had this problem and can relate really or a health expert/professional can give me advice on what is happening and may have happened.

But at the moment life isn't great and I feel low in spirits and happiness because the worst thing is my hand weakness and the collarbone area which is so tight and it feels like my shoulders are stuck and won't come down and relax again due to that tightness and therefore  the shoulder blades are aching as they are suffering too.

I also believe the shoulder blade aches are probably making the lower back sore and ache too and the shoulder pain/aches when I lift them up especially is bad and tight ache in my arms are related to the shoulder issues caused by the tightness around collarbone area.

Even as I type this my fingers ache it's so confusing and upsetting at the moment.

I look forward to seeing what replies/advice I get so I can get some hope, sorry if it's hard to read this but just wanted to try and get some advice and hopefully someone out there can improve my problems and get rid of them.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Adam, could I ask, when we're you diagnosed with PMR and how has your dose and tapering thereof been. Also how old are you and up to this point how active are you? Regards, christina 
    • Posted

I haven't got PMR, I just posted in the bones and muscles forum for this situation of mine/
  • Posted

Ah, I think you have been misdirected to the PMR section. I will report this to the moderator and hopefully they will post it on the bones and muscles section. Hopefully you will receive more replies. Christina.
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear of your problems Adam. House moving is quite stressful enough without your present suffering.  As you have already seen your physio with no improvement a visit to the doctor might be called for.  Some of your symptons do sound like the symptons I experienced before being diagnosed with PMR.  I had to get a special tool to even unscrew the top from a milk bottle and trying to operate the key fob lock to open the car was almost impossible.  I had to give up driving for a little while as turning my head was difficult and painful.  Like you I had shoulder pain which made it difficult to raise my hands above my head to wash my hair.  Others have said they could only raise up one hand by holding up the elbow with the other hand.   I hope you find a solution quickly.  All the best. Diana
  • Posted

No it isn't that bad and I am only 23, in first few days of physio only. Just hoping things improve. There are small signs at the moment
    • Posted

Yes - at the age of 23 it is unlikely you have PMR which is what this particular forum is for! It isn't impossible mind, but highly unlikely.

You have fairly obviously strained muscles during the lifting and your back  is probably protesting wildly. Your physio should be able to identify that but if they don't it might be good to see a doctor. I personally would look for a Bowen therapist and try a few sessions of that. Google it to find more info and therapists.

• Posted

Adam,

I just saw this post while googling my symptoms, which are exactly the same.  My doctor is saying i need cervcial fusion sugery.  I am just curious if you have been diagnosed with anything yet and are you still have issues??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.