Tightness In my foot after bunionectomy surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had bunionectomy surgery 2weeks on Thursday & the past 2days am feeling like a tightness feeling like Just on top of my foot around were the bunion was???? It hurts when am standing up, but it never did it before, am Not sure if it's the bandages as they do feel tight!! Feels like something is really pulling!! Anyone else get this???

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there...

I also had the same feeling.... the tightness was the stitches/would

healing and the nerves putting themselves all back into place.

I also remember the feeling of discomfort when I stood up..... with me,

and others alike it was to do with the blood going down the leg after so much elevating. My leg used to go such a purple colour and feel like

the leg/footvwas going to explode.

All part of the natural healing process, many a twings and twangs were

felt along the way as the nerves healed....sometimes my leg would also

take on a mind of it's own and start flicking away.

It's a long recovery so be patient and keep on top of the meds if the pain gets too much.... if you feel the bandage is contributing maybe just losen

it a bit but all sounds normal.... Keep elevating for the best part of the

day as it's still so important to help with the healing.....it's still very early days.

day as it's so important to walk as little as possible

• Posted

Hey thanks for replying!

My foot at the top of we're my scar is, from my big toe to the middle of my foot feels like a cramping feeling/tightness & it feels like something hard is grinding against the bone?? Also the sole of my foot feels sore now & very dry?! Is this normal?

All my bandages are scrunched up now as all swelling has gone down so it has messed up the bandages so much which is irritating 😠 😭

I had to apply (Hydrocortisone) cream under the bottom of my toes which are. It bandaged as they were an dry!! I feel like my scar is getting caught on the wool underneath the bandages now, it's been very irritating! Am hoping it doesn't mean its infected 😭 😩

Am walking fine on my heal I swam to be able to do things around the house now! I can't wait to have the bandages removed on Thursday which will be 2weeks!!

• Posted

I can't seem to get comfortable sleeping, I am normally a stomach sleeper and obviously can't be now. It's been 10 days and I am really wishing I didn't have to keep my feet elevated at bedtime 

my bandages have loosened right up also, my heels are no longer covered,and not much of my toes are remaining out of the bandages

i have honestly been doing nothin and really just want a good nights sleep 

• Posted

Hi Claire.

I had my bandage removed at 2 weeks when I had my first

check up but I still had to wear a tuba a grip dressing which was

fine as I just folded it back to let my foot air.

My foot seemed to go through many changes during my

recovery all of which I'd describe of more a discomfort than

being painful.

I also massaged my scar with Bio oil once it was really healed

as this helps break down any scar tissue and used foot cream

on the underneath, as you say the skin on tge foot can be very

dry.

I was told to put my foot flat on the ground when walking at

2 weeks and not to roll through the toes.... you should still be

elevating your foot, with a pillow under your leg, for a while yet.

• Posted

Hi Claire, yes I get this tight feel also, mine feels as there there is a wire around the joint in my big toe, where the surgeon broke it, across my other toes and it feels like it is getting tighter and tighter. It's really is painful at times. I think the tightness of the bandages is the swelling. I did find that a flexible cold pack, wrapped inside a thin piece of fabric but wrapped loosely around your foot, if you have a support boot, it can be put inside it, helps dramatically, don't leave it for too long though, prop, 15 minutes at a time. This has helped with the bruising as well. I have to say, I also feel the screws digging in at times, which is the worse thing. I don't know, how some people have had virtually no pain. I am supposed to have my other bunion done after this but at the moment I don't know if I can face it again. I have used devils claw gel, from holland and barratt, on my bruises and they have virtually gone. I also managed to buy Weleda bumps and bruses spray, which you take orally, has arnica, rhus tox nd ruta gava, in it and I do think that has helped with the swelling. My foot is virtually back to normal in size. They sell it in Holland and Barratt and Amazon.

It's reassuring to have other people going through the same symptoms. Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.