Tightness in neck after surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a full thyroidectomy and all my lymph nodes removed from the left side of my neck on Jan 25, 2017. I still feel like I am being choked, will this feeling ever go away and if so when? Another way to describe the feeling what I assume a skin graft would feel like, like a huge patch.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Why did they remove the nodes??

I thought they just take the gland? 

Id ask the surgeons secretary for your notes, to see what they did?

I'm on the list for a thyroidectomy , so I'm perturbed .

thinking of you x

• Posted

My journey started with an enlarged lymph node which resulted in inconclusive test results after a ultrasound, CT scan w & w/o contrast, and two FNA's. The scans also exposed a nodule on my Thyroid. Thyroid results were Benign. Surgery to remove the cyst on the lymph node returned as Maglignant. Scheduled to have my Thyroid removed a month later along with all the lympth nodes on the same side at the initial enlarged one. 15 were removed during surgey only two came back cancerous. I am now scheduled for RAI at the end of this month. I feel great except for the tightness and swelling I feel in my throat and neck.

• Posted

I can't say I had the choking feeling, apart from when I still had the MNG but even then it was more like pressure. Maybe speak to either your Endo or Oncologist about it.

I had Follicular Carcinoma, but could not have RAI as I had TED with the Graves.

I am treated with 125mcg Levothyroxine. It took me a year to acclimatise on the Thyroxine but on with it now. I have to have the high dose, it varies between 125 & 150mcg depending on bloods. Check ups every 3 months (3months Endo, 3 months Oncologist)! I am 2 years post op.

I hope you get this sorted soon. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Maybe because of the lymph nodes being taken also. It is a big operation but if they took ALL the lymph nodes on the left, that's quite unusual. They only took one of my lymph nodes!

What cancer did you have?

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I had Papillary Carcinoma. Please read the reply above as to how my journey started in Oct 2016.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.