Tightness in throat? Anyone with thyroid problems have had this issue?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 17 year old female and my throat has been feeling so tight and uncomfortable the past year and a half, and it's only gotten worse to the point where it's affecting my breathing and swallowing. The last couple days though, it seems more shifted to the right side of my neck. I went to the ER & doctor two weeks ago, but they weren't much help. They did an X-ray of my neck, CT scan and did some bloodwork, but found nothing wrong and nothing was abnormal. They said it was just panic attack and anxiety causing it, but it can't JUST be anxiety causing this much discomfort. Though I do have anxiety disorder and get panic attacks but only because of this sensation making me feel like I am about to suffocate. It's constantly there 24/7 and nothing I do relieves it. I want to believe it may have something to do with my thyroid because in addition to my throat, I'm having other symptoms as well, like fatigue, heart palps, depression, anxiety and constipation to name a few. I forgot to mention the symptoms to my doctor because I was too focused on the tightness in my throat. I had a TSH test done, but I want to get further tests just to be sure my thyroid is working properly. I'm afraid to ask though because I feel like my family and the doctors don't believe anything is wrong and just blame it on anxiety when I believe there's something going on. I really need some answers or advice right now from someone who might be experiencing or experienced the same thing because I am at my whits end, and I dont know what to do. I am suffering so bad everyday because of it and I am desperate to find out whatever is happening to me and get rid of it because I can't even enjoy life anymore because of it. I am in misery 24/7. I need help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Chelsea, write down your concerns...or print off your post...and take it to your dr.  Ask him to do blood tests checking your thyroid.  It is quite possible you do have an enlarged thyroid, but I would have expected it would have shown up in the scans.  Ask him to check your blood calcium, PTH and Vit D as well, since it may as well all be done.

If all your results come back normally, then perhaps anxiety or depression are your true problems, but you will have the comfort of knowing that what you fear has all been tested.

Good luck with it all.

Anne

• Posted

Oh, should have said that the calcium, PTH and Vit D are for checking parathyroid health.  Do let us know how you go.
  • Posted

Was the CT you had done with contrast? If not then maybe you could ask your GP for a referral to have an Ultrasound Scan. This would show up more than a standard CT. It is also quick, painless & cheaper than CT!

You are too young to be going through all this & I think you need answers, unfortunately the symptoms you describe can all be attributed to Anxiety & Depression. I think you owe it to yourself to just make sure nothing physically is going on before you are labelled with those illnesses.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.