Time off work

Posted , 8 users are following.

a co worker said she went back to work just 3days later after hysterectomy! that seem soon to me

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, I have heard anecdotes like this, but truly take them all with a pinch if salt. Obviously, the amount of time each of of us need to take off work will vary and depend on the type of surgery, type of job etc. However, I was told by my consultant that I would need to take 12 weeks off and I do not have a manual job. Definitely follow the advice of your consultant, listen to your body and don't feel pressurised by others! This is a major op!

• Posted

thats crazy Mary.. I made sure I did another but rest and light duties ul to 12 weeks

• Posted

way too soon, recommended time off is 6 weeks. my doctor gave me 6 weeks off and i took them all as i wanted to completely heal and not have a set back. my job is a sit down job but the walking and getting up was painful. Please take your time and heal completely best of luck.

• Posted

I had a robotic surgery. I started working the day that I came home from the hospital but I work from home from my computer and phone. I definitely did nor work the usual number of hours for several weeks though. I worked little bits of time here and there when I could. If I worked outside my home, based oh how I felt, I'm positive that I wouldn’t have gone back to work for at least 6 weeks or longer. The fact that my office is 5 feet from my bedroom made it much easier for me.

• Edited

Hi Mary, I highly doubt anybody would be able to go back so soon, i certainly wouldn't listen to people who try to male me feel like a wuss . For me personally i was still in hospital for 3 days. Everybody who has this op which ever way its done will assure you that this is a major op, and healing takes time, patience and common sense to listen to your body, when its telling you've done enough. We're given 3 months off which obviously tells you something, i have a manual job so if i'm not ready then ill take another month. I'm week 4 and just starting to feel a little bit "normal" and started to have a short walk without any niggles. I'm enjoying snuggling on sofa with a Christmas film, i could get used to this. Good luck to all the ladies, remember go in positive, this OP will change our lives, no more periods.

• Posted

Could not agree with you more, Amanda. Pleased to hear you're starting to feel more comfortable, enjoy the Christmas films x

• Posted

Hello Mary

I actually went back to work after two weeks TAH However I had a co worker that took the whole 8 weeks to recover. Everyone is different and should listen to their own bodies through recovery. I have a desk job so it was easier for me. I was careful not to overdue it and totally rested when I got home at the end of the day. Even after 18 months post OP I still experience sime issues however self care is key and knowing when to rest is important.

• Posted

it was actually my boss that said it , its hard not to feel that she was hinting to me

• Posted

she may have said it but it is not legal. I would take it up with human resources. I'm sorry she tried to manipulate and intimidate you. look up your company policy and rights. I would say to her my dr says otherwise. and if need be show the facts. I was in hospital for the firs 48hours and 4 days when I had my ovaries out. everyone and every type and reason are different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.