Time to come off Citalopram for me

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

Im a 48 year young woman with 2 kids aged 19 and 20 living in London and Spain.

Having just registered here wished that I had done so much earlier on. However, here I am and trying to come off Citalopram. Have been on them for alomost 3 years, 20mg daily due to my daughter of 18 having a mental breakdown and coping with epilepsy at the same time (her not me).

It was a very difficult period in my life. Watching your own child suffering and feeling helpless and almost guilty thinking that it all stemmed from me. She was only diagnosed with eplipsey 5 years ago and since then no treatment has really stabilised her. Saying that though, she has just finished her A levels and achieved 3A's which is amazing and is now going to Uni next week. So not all bad, although she is still not siezure free.

I decided to try and come off Citalopram as Ive been feeling very numb with it and have also put on loads of weight. Initially I lost loads due to no appetite but suddenly its just piled on, which is obviously making me more depressed but hey ho.

I want to start feeling 'normal' again and although Dr suggested that I wait until Xmas to start reducing the meds, decided to start reducing so that I could [i:f241cc469c]be[/i:f241cc469c] off them by Xmas. Dr felt that until daughter is settled etc, I might need to stay on them. She may be right but I dont even know whether they made me feel any better as I really dont feel anything.

Anyway, I have reduced the 20mg to 10mg and have done so for the past 3 weeks with a few fuzzy head and dizzy spells and feeling a bit 'out of it' but Ive pusued it and now I feel ok. Its weird that the only time I feel any different on the meds is when I try to come off. I did feel a little weird when I started taking them and went through a period of total euhphoria (probably cos I was losing weight!!) and had tons of energy.

Im now not sure where to go and how to reduce the meds from 10mg to nothing. I know I cant suddenly go 'cold turkey' but should I just take meds alternate days for 3 weeks and then continue like that? How long it is recommended to reduce and stop the meds? What is a normal time frame?? Can anyone give me some suggestions please? Im still not sleeping well and still have random thoughts and really really weird dreams which doesnt help me with trying to get on with my day to day life as Im always knackered!

Would love to hear from anyone whos come off and stayed off or is trying to come off these meds.

Thanks for reading this.

Head Case

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm trying to get off citalopram too. I have been taking them since last October and was on 40mg for some time.

I started off taking 20mg one day, then 40mg the next, until I got to a point where I was taking 10mg every other day and I was still feeling pretty fine. I did this for three weeks, and took the final tablet 10 days ago.

I was fine until last friday, when I started getting \"head shocks\", dizzy spells, nausea and generally feeling very rough - not depressed tho, just physically ill.

It's now Monday and although things have improved, I still don't feel very good. Part of me wants to start taking the tablets again, but I really want to get off them and so I'm trying to tough it out.

• Posted

I am going thru a similar thing, i started on 20mg 6 months ago after going somewhat mad and feeling i could no longer cope with the stresses and strains of no money, too much to do, phd, work kids etc etc.

I feel better now and feel its time to come off the tabs, i feel quite distant sometimes, it effects my sex life but most importantly and the worst possible thing for me is it made me gain about half a stone. I have always been paranoid about my weight but it seems to have piled on. I feel better and want to try and come down off them because of this. I am running eating healthy but cant shift it. I spoke to my doc this am and she suggested 20mg one day 10mg the next, i prefer to just finish the 20mg this week and start on 10. I hope I feel ok and losethe weight. I can cope with the shit life throws at me by not caring so much and i would like to be able to maintain that (and the new rules i have for myself) without meds

• Posted

Dear \"headcase\"

I was taking citalopram for about 9months and my doctor suggested i came of them to start taking an Anxiety tablet instead. I had to start taking the anxiety tablet the next day so i had to just stop! I have been on this other tablet about 5days now and has made me feel like crap so the dr has okayed it for me to stop them too. Basically im not taking anything now and i keep getting vile headaches and feel very tired and some times feel detached from the world, but the thing is i don't want to be on meds either i keep saying to myself i will feel a bit better tomorrow and hope i do as i am determined not o go back on anything plus we are trying to concieve and i dont want to be on them when im pregnant.

• Posted

Head case, just wondering how you are getting on.

I had to start taking cit again, cos I was feeling so bad. I'm only taking 20mg every other day tho.

• Posted

Well i have been of them for about 2wks now and i feel awfull if anything i have been feeling worse. i thought things would get better but im not so sure now i have got angry so angry it makes me so tired and wondering if there is any point anymore....i really dont want to go back on them though cause i feel i will have to go through all this again. I have also been getting a swimming affect in my head which makes me feel sick and dizzy, can anyone help? :cry:
  • Posted

ive been on cits for 2wks and i get a feeling in my head its as if i can feel water dripping inside my head it scares the sh*t out me but im gonna stick with the tabs :D
  • Posted

I'm glad I'm not the only one having a hard time getting off them. When Drs hand out these pills they only tell you how much good they will do you, not how hard it is when you stop taking them.

I wish you luck Em, I only lasted about 10 days before I had to start taking them again. I hope you will come back later and tell me how long the side effects lasted and how well you are doing! it will encourage me to have another go.

• Posted

Hi all well its been just over 2wks now i think things are so much better, i feel much better, sometimes get the swimming affect but its short and is ot that bad. I hope u r all doin well x :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.