Time to cut down - its going to be tough!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

For several years now I have been drinking way more than I should. I have tried several times to cut down but come day 2 give in and reward myself making the cycle continue. I woke up today and promised myself that this wouldnt continue as I feel like my ailments are a result of my drinking.

Any tips?

Thank you

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please don't get me wrong. I am not aware of the level of depths Joanna or you have been. I had reached almost to the bottom, seemed like a point of no return. I am not trashing medical intervention, as a matter of fact if you read my first post I advised to get medical help to get off alcohol, they treat you for the shakes, hallucinations, seizures, DT and what not. The difficult part is not getting sober, staying sober is the biggie. You cant keeping popping pills all your life. This might surprise you, alcoholism can be a curse and at the same time blessing as well. In my case it was a blessing, I was Christian just for name sake, alcohol has brought me so close to God and I believe I am a much better person now than before I became an alcoholic. Medicines just treat your body, the core problem is in your brain if that is not addressed you WILL relapse and it will be far worse that it currently is.

If you don’t have faith, that’s still fine. There are other ways as well. I am sure you believe in morality, compassion, love and the like. As alcoholics though we believe in it. we may not be able to practise it. It is scientifically proven that if you have to give up a habit or a trait find yourself something greater that overshadows the current habit or trait you are trying to change. Vigorously involve yourself without any selfish motives in voluntary work, be it in an orphanage, old age home, terminally ill patients and try to bring a smile on their faces. You will find that all that alcohol gives you, momentary happiness, temporary gratification, a high and all the artificial things will be replaced with something far greater, “JOY”. When you find joy the former will fade away, you will be addicted to the latter. Just by doing this many of your character defects will vanish and you will experience life at a different level altogether. I have seen this happen in my case and in many others where doctors had given up.

To give you a poor example, if your are used to an Android phone and later switch to an iphone, you will never want to go back to an Android phone again.

A word of caution, don’t stop seeking joy once you feel comfortable. I am saying all this out of love, coz I know what hellish life can be with alcohol. I am trying to give freely coz someone gave it to me freely.

God Bless

• Posted

How have you been the last two weeks since we last replied to you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.