Time to face facts.....

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone, not been posting much just lately but I'm always lurking....

Just a quick recap - right TKR March 2015, left TKR Oct 2015.

Left knee was very bad prior to surgery, and I struggled to straighten.

It's doing much better now though, still pretty achy and stiff, but it's getting there.

The right, however, is a WHOLE different story. At my 6 week check up for the left,

I told my surgeon I was getting a lot of pain in the Tibial area.

He x rayed it and said it was fine and that it would pass.

Since then it's been on and off painful, until Easter this year

when it suddenly started to be REALLY painful.

I wondered at first if I'd managed to strain it somehow, but it seems not.

I found a lump near the top of my Tibia,

which has been x rayed and ultrasound scanned and it's a cyst.

I'm told it's unlikely that it's responsible for the level of pain I'm in

- if I stand for more than a minute or two,

then lift my foot and take the weight off my leg, the pain can be horrendous - enough to make me scream!

It's constantly painful and getting stiffer by the day.

I'm back to sleeping on the sofa as I can't get comfortable in bed, I'm in constant pain, and I've been put on 12 hour extended release morphine,

along with Tramadol and Oramorph for "breakthrough" pain, which happens a LOT!

I've got an appointment with my Surgeon on 4th July, there was nothing available until then.

But I think, realistically, I have to face the prospect of being told that the

initial replacement has failed, and will need surgical intervention.

Oh and on June 4th I'm having Carpal Tunnel release surgery!

Safe to say guys and gals, I'm a bit hacked off and pretty darned scared right now 😢

Sorry this is so long, so the formatting seems to have gone a bit weird so sorry if

It's difficult to read xx

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Terri,   So sorry to hear that you are having issues with TKR.  Hopefully there is something they can do other than a revision.

my hubby has had the carpal tunnel release surgery.  His had not been an issue for very long...so the recover was fairly easy.  He just really pushed the Physio and recouped rather quickly.

pam

• Posted

Thanks Pam, youd think after 2 TKR's Id be ready to breeze through CTS surgery. But the thought of that needle going in and poking around.... eekredface

Ive had mine about 12 months, so hopefully my recovery shouldnt be too arduous - she says with her fingers toes and eyes crossed! xx

• Posted

Sympathise...I went undiagnosed for months then got told I had osteonecrosis. .lack of blood to the bone which had resulted in breaking off end of femur..hence pain n agony...2 ops later was agreed TKR was needed..most painful thing ever due to state of bone..3 mths later pain restarted resulting in being told loosening of TKR n now undergoing a revision this week...so have to do it all over again!! Dreading the pain n lack of sleep but has to be done!Hang in there n make most of support through this great forum x
    • Posted

Hilary, you have my sympathy, this sounds utterly awful sad I really hope your revision goes well.....sounds like no one deserves some good fortune more than you do.

Fingers crossed and all the best to you x

• Posted

Can they not do anything about the cyst, could it be pressing on the nerves in that area. I know it can be painful a long time after the operation, but not to be able to lift your foot (I know that feeling oh too well) is crazy.  What does your doctor say about it, there is no way you can wait until July.  Can you go to your local A&E. Not being able to walk properly can be classed as an emergency as the proper  blood flow around your leg could be comprised
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I think they probably will remove the cyst, but my GP says its very doubtful that its causing so much pain.

I managed to find my Surgeons' secretary's direct phone number today and called her. I explained the situation, and shes slotted me in at 9.40 next Monday. SO glad I called her. Fingers crossed I get some answers!

• Posted

Good luck and fingers crossed for you.  Sometimes the surgeons secretary is more sympathetic and approachable than doctors receptionists.

Anyway, I hope you get propers answers and things are sorted sooner rather than later

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.